Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Gcdeagle1
Beginner

Marlin 12 gauge pump with exposed hammer

Post by Gcdeagle1 »

~

Hi I’m trying to find some information on this old shotgun I inherited. I
tried looking online and it brought me to your site. I registered and hope
someone can help me identify what I have.
On the barrel - the Marlin firearms corporation New Haven Conn USA
PAT D. USA MAR 24 May 19 1908 Nov 23 2 Patents DEC 21 1909 JULY 28 1914 FEB
23 1915 patent pending. 12GA

I could not locate any model number or serial number on barrel . The serial
number on receiver is 44866
The number in middle I’m pretty sure is an 8 but it’s hard to tell. I’m not
sure what else it could be. There is a push button by the hammer I believe
to be a safety .
Again I just received this firearm today and am hoping to find out the
model and year and any other information I could if it’s possible. I really
appreciate it thanks so much.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 12 gauge pump with exposed hammer

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Gceagle1;

The serial number would indicate that this is a Model 1898, which were not marked with a model number. The patent dates reflect those from a barrel for a Model 19N which is later, but the Model 19 is marked with the model number, on the upper tang, behind the hammer.
The push button you mention is not a safety in the terms of not being able to fire the gun, but is the patented "Hang Fire Safety" release button. If the gun is not fired,with a properly operating system, the action cannot be opened without pushing the button in. If the gun is fired, the "Hang Fire Safety" is released upon recoil and the action can be opened as usual.
That serial number would indicate that this receiver was made about 1902/1903.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Gcdeagle1
Beginner

Post by Gcdeagle1 »

Thank you so much. Very much appreciated. This firearm does appear to be in nice shape but I do seem to recall possibly on another post that older models were possibly not safe to shoot? Other then it being more then 100years old is there something I should worry about if I were to fire this firearm?
I also looked at the tang behind the hammer,did not see any engraving of model 19 .
This may sound silly but the wood on the stock and the pump- the design is in a checkered form. This appears to be different than other models of around the same age from pictures I’ve seen. Is it possible that maybe the stock in the wood were changed at some point or did they make different versions of the pattern used in the wood? And again thank you so much for your knowledge and history of this firearm it is so intriguing to me.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Gcdeagle1;

Actually, there are four different grades of the Model 1898 Marlin shotgun. There is the Standard or "A" Grade, the next grade is the "B" Grade that is apparently what you have in that it is pretty much a standard gun except for the checkered stocks. The next grade is the "C" Grade with is a fancy version with checkered, selected walnut stocks and a finely engraved receiver. And last is the "D" Grade which is a much fancier version with finely checked Circassian walnut stocks, with a much finer engraved receiver and gold plated screws, hammer and trigger.
As to shooting your shotgun, you need to go through ALL the safety checks mentioned in the first post here in the Shotgun Section of this message board. If it fails any of the tests, either have it repaired, or do not shoot it. And if you find it is safe to shoot, then by all means use low pressure loads of 2 5/8 inch shells. The action must be locked up COMPLETELY to be safe. If the action does not lock up properly, upon firing the gun, it could release the breech bolt out the back of the receiver. (think about where your head is when you aim and shoot) This is not meant to scare you, but there are modern, safe guns to shoot out there.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Gcdeagle1
Beginner

Post by Gcdeagle1 »

Great information thank you