1894 .44-.40 ???

What the name implies

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Firefight
Beginner

1894 .44-.40 ???

Post by Firefight »

My father-in law left a rifle to each of his son in laws when he died. I've had mine for a few years and have always wondered about how old it was and just about it's general history. I'm not interested at all in selling it but would still like to know what it's current value is. I was wondering if I gave you guys a description if you couldn't tell me a little about my gun.

The serial # is 191093, and the on top of the action is says "Marlin safety," on the barrel it says the name of the marlin firearms company, and that the Patent is from Oct. 11 1887. April 2 1889 . On top of the octagonal barrel, behind the back sight is says 44w., but didn't see that until recently and my local gun dealer told me to shoot .44-.40 through it. That everything I can think of, if you need anything else let me know. I can get pics is I need to as well.

This gun is very old and worn. My father in law was a shepherd in Utah and kept this in his saddle as a brush gun, so it's not exactly in mint condition, but like I said I'm not selling it. I just want to know if I can shoot modern rounds through it and if it's a god or bad idea to refurbish it.

I'd appreciat any feedback.

thanks
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1894 .44-.40 ???

Post by Sure-Shot »

1899 for year of manufacture, 44w is 44-40, cowboy loads will work fine but don't shoot hotter loads as they did not have the metalurgy then they have now. If you have pictures and want to send them to me I would be happy to put them on here for comment. I am glad you are keeping the family heirloom. If you want to clean up the outside metal a bit, use OOOO steel wool and a gun oil. You can pick that up at most hardware stores. It is soft enough to not harm the metal but stiff enough to take off the surface rust.
GBOT, GBUSA