Marlin 80DL

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Mr fixit
Beginner

Marlin 80DL

Post by Mr fixit »

Gents, I will be posting some pics here for a co-worker that just picked up an 80 DL. It has the peep sight on it and a weaver scope that is mounted with 2 screws on the left side of the Barrel or receiver i'm not sure, possibly 3/4"?. Any one know when these rifles were made? He developed a twitch in his trigger finger that without trying he will fire off 3-4 shots in a row using a semi-auto, hence the switch to a bolt. Will post pics soon. Thanks Mr fixit
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mr.Fixit;

Tell your friend that the Marlin Model 80DL was made from 1941 to 1964, and in various styles. After you post he pictures, it will be possible to narrow down the date from the style he currently has.
Looking forward to see your pictures..........
Mr fixit
Beginner

Post by Mr fixit »

thanks regnier, any particular things i should look for when taking the pics? I know it's pre serial number, but I thought maybe something on the rifle that might help date it? Mr fixit
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Mr.Fixit;

Not really, the big differences are in the stock shape and the trigger guard. It will be pretty clear with just an overall photo of the entire gun.
Mr fixit
Beginner

Post by Mr fixit »

80 DL, didn't read your last post before I took the pics

he really wanted to know if the "plug" is stock for where the rear sight goes i told him I didn't think it had one, anything you guys can tell me will be appriciated by both him & I, anything not original? Thanks. Mr fixit
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Mr. Fixit;

This is the first variation Model 80DL made up to 1960. About the only thing I see wrong for sure is the rear sling swivel is missing. If this gun does not have the Micro-Groove rifling, then it will be prior to 1954. The scope mount holes may not be original, but the top receiver would have to have grooves to receive a scope mount otherwise. If the top of the reciever is not grooved, then the holes may be original. The rear sight blank would be the type used for the original peep sights used on the Model 80DL.
I hope this helps.
Mr fixit
Beginner

Post by Mr fixit »

Thank you sir for the reply, the guy had a big smile on his face when I told him, printed out this topic and gave it to him for his safe keeping. Was just discussing the rifle with him and told him that I also posted on the Marlin Owners Forum to see what else can be gathered up. He mentioned the rear sight again and I told him the rifle is original as it is and didn't come with a rear sight, am I wrong in that statement? Also asked the guys on MOF if anyone knew where a rear swivel could be found. Again Regnier, thanks for the info. Mr fixit
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Mr.Fixit;

The peep sight is the original rear sight. The DL's of any bolt action Marlin rifle came equipped with a peep sight and sling swivels. That was the difference that made them the DL, over the standard version of that model.
Mr fixit
Beginner

Post by Mr fixit »

Regnier, thanks again Mr fixit