I have a Marlin Model 550 12gauge clip fed shotgun?

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

txjaws2000
Beginner

I have a Marlin Model 550 12gauge clip fed shotgun?

Post by txjaws2000 »

I aquired this from my father in law. I do not know anything about this shotgun, other than some refer to it as a goose gun.
Can someone please fill me in with information about this bolt action shotgun.
The only thing stamped on the barrel is that its a Marlin model 550 in 12gauge and then where Marlin is made at with the address.

I havent shot it yet but 2 3/4 inch shells seem to fit perfectly inside the clip and load and eject out of the breach well. What is the max shell size this gun can take and what other information can someone tell me about it?

Thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Txjaws2000;

I find no reference to a Model 550 shotgun. Better check to see if this is a Model 55G. Look very close at the stamping, sometimes a deeply stamped letter or number will look like something it is not. It will make a difference to those trying to help you find the information you are seeking.
Looking forward to your reply........
txjaws2000
Beginner

It is a Marlin Model # 55G

Post by txjaws2000 »

Looked real real close and I guess my eyes are getting older it is a Model 55G what can anyone tell me about this gun?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Txjaws2000;

The Model 55G was made from 1961 to 1965. Unless equipped with the Marlin Micro-Choke, it has a 28 inch full choked barrel. This is not a Goose Gun. The Goose Gun had a 36 inch, full choked barrel. The Model 55G sold for $39.95 when it first came out. There were 12,351 of the Model 55G's made in 12 gauge. The 55G is a Glenfield version of the Marlin Model 55 Hunter. The Glenfield line of guns was a less expensive version of Marlin's first line guns, that used a less expensive type of walnut stained hardwood for the stocks, instead of walnut that Marlin used on the first line guns. Otherwise there is no difference.
I hope this helps.
toboggan06
Beginner

Re: I have a Marlin Model 550 12gauge clip fed shotgun?

Post by toboggan06 »

Are you looking to sell that 55G?