Marlin Model 90, 20 ga

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

BarkeyVA
Marksman

Marlin Model 90, 20 ga

Post by BarkeyVA »

I have an opportunity to buy a Marlin Model 90 DT, 20 ga, 28 inch barrels choked Full/Modified with open space between barrels, for $450. It seems to be in reasonably good condition--nice wood and no rust or pitting. Asking price is $495. What are the most important things I should look for and/or what questions should I ask the seller to help me determine if this is a fair price?
BarkeyVA
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

If you are getting it for your collection, look for buffing marks on the barrels and if a pad has been added. You will also see an added 'money maker' rib sometimes - not original.

If original, the price is not excessive. This makes a sweet dove gun! SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

If it has been reblued, the receiver will usually have a purple color rather than a blue black.

John
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Marlin Model 90, 20 ga.

Post by BarkeyVA »

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate you inputs.

How much do you think the value would be reduced if the bluing (blue/black in color) on the receiver is not uniform? It is somewhat "blotchy" which I assume is due to wear from handling.

As part of a collection, how much would a pad reduce the gun's value?
BarkeyVA
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

If the receiver is blotchy, someone tried to reblue it. Pretty much not possible by conventional means with the model 90 as the receiver is of an alloy much closer to iron than steel. Only a specialty finisher could do the deal properly & it would not be cheep!!!

It's not easy to nail down a precise sum a pad would take away from a collectible shotgun's value. Mostly because the shotgun is then in the category of a shooter instead of something someone would specifically buy for their collection.

Which is a round-about way of saying die-hard collectors do not buy altered specimens at all.

The O/U 20 ga is still quite the ticket for doves, altered or not. SW
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Marlin Model 90, 20 ga

Post by BarkeyVA »

SteveW

Not sure about the distinguished designation, but you do sound like an expert to me. Thanks for the follow-up. The serial number for this gun is L214. I have a Marlin model 90, 12 ga with a Gxxxx serial number that I think was made in 1950. If so, can I assume that this gun was probably made in 1955?

By the way, next to hunting wild quail, dove hunting is my 2nd favorite hunting experience. Although this gun may or may not be original, I do agree that it would be nice dove gun. How is the dove hunting around your part of Nebraska?
BarkeyVA
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

You are close; L = 1954 because I was omitted from the serial numbering that it not be confused with the number 1.

Dove hunting used to be a lot of fun here, but due to climate changes it seems we get cooler weather right around the 1st or 2nd of Sept in western Nebr. Such was the case earlier this month. I returned from work the evening of the 1st - opening day & saw a LOT of doves where I hunt.

But since it blew up a storm that night, I took preppy daughter's black blab for a hike the next morning & where I had been seeing 300, I saw 3. There are still a FEW around, but not enough for me to buy a license. Heck, I have 6 right in my back yard mooching millet seed at the bird feeder. They are safe - the back yard is a no-fire zone.

Doves being as thin-skinned as they are, they soon pack theirparty feathers & beat it to Argentina... or where ever it is they go.

Ah, but turkey season is next month & I have a couple flocks well-scouted! :D

Best regards & happy hunting!!! :D SW
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Marlin Model 90, 20 ga

Post by BarkeyVA »

After re-examining the 20 ga, my original description of "blotchy" is probably not accurate. I do not think the uneven finish on the receiver is from re-bluing but probably due to improper storage or handling. It does not have a recoil pad, so I think there is a good chance that it is original. Based on all your comments, I was able to emphasize some of the gun's "shortcomings" (which I personally now believe are minor). I also reminded the seller of the current value of the gun as listed in the 2007 edition of the Blue Book of Gun Values. Bottom line: I offered $400 and he accepted!

There were some short periods of unusually cool weather in late August and early Sept., and we have been experiencing moderate to severe dought conditions here in southeastern Virgina. Excpt for the half-dozen or so doves that are eating safflower seed from the bird feeder in my back yard, most of the doves are long gone from around here, too. I can't wait to try this 20 ga. out on sporting clays, 5-Stand and wobble trap.

Thanks again for your willingness to answer all of my questions.
BarkeyVA
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Aha! I believe you did well! It never hurts to negotiate the price - the worst that can happen is for the seller to say no.

In today's gun market, there are few quality 20ga O/Us to be found for 400 dollars! :D SW
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Marlin Model 90, 20 ga

Post by BarkeyVA »

SW

Now that I have this 20 ga. ( DT, 28" barrels, F/M, Serial No. L214) any idea what the retail price was in 1954 and how many were made?

:lol: BarkeyVA
BarkeyVA