1893 32-40

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

smoore
Beginner

1893 32-40

Post by smoore »

My grandmother gave her old hunting rifle to my dad. I believe it is a model 1893 32-40 takedown. It is stamped with 32-40. I think the serial number is 134006.( That is from memory so it may be wrong) The gun has a 1/2 octogon and 1/2 round barrel. It has a scene of two deer engraved on one side and there is engraving over most of the gun. It has a pistol grip and a tang sight. It appears to be in very good condition. I would like to find out what year the gun was made and an approximate value for insurance purposes.
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

What a sweet rifle!!! :D Sorry I can't offer much in the way of value, but with your pics, someone here will be able to help you out.

Pics are very helpful - thanks for including them! SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Smoore,
If you can get the actual serial number to Regnier, he just may be able to help you with the factory records! Nice rifle and I think Val gave you a pretty realistic value over on Marlin Owners. Could easily exceed $10,000 at auction! You can't insure sentimental value, so unless your insurance requires some sort of official document stating value, insure on the high side.

John
smoore
Beginner

Post by smoore »

Thanks Hunt4em,
Val's post was very helpful and a little suprising. I agree there is no price on the sentimental value and with the family history I'm sure the rifle will continue to stay in the family for a long time. Most homeowners policies have sublimits on firearms so I want to make sure we get the proper policy to insure this baby.

I was incorrect on my recollection of the serial number. The correct number is 134002. Not off by much. :wink:

Hopefully Regnier will check the factory records for me.
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Post by Don Anderson »

Hi Smoore:

Your rifle was made in 1896 and has a number of factory special order features. It is a Number 3 engraved, "B" checkered with pistol grip, take-down, hard rubber buttplate, and a half-round half-octagon barrel. It does have a tang sight, but in order for it to be a correct fit to the Model 1893 .32-40 rifle, it should have a "J" stamped on the bottom side of it. I would insure it for a minimum of $10,000. It's a beautiful old Marlin and one you can really be proud of.

Don
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I tend to be a bit conservative, and I'd guess Don is probably a bit closer to real value at 10k.-Vall
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
mobydoug
Pro-Marksman

Post by mobydoug »

Your Granny has wonderful taste in firearms. Doug
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Smoore;

Don is correct, your very fine Marlin Model 1893 left the factory in early 1896 with a 26 inch half octagon barrel in .32-40 caliber, half magazine, takedown, pistol grip stock.
Frankly, with prices currently seen at auction, $10,000.00 is way to conservative. I would expect to see it closer to $12,000.00 and maybe a little more. If it were mine, I would insure it for a minimun of $15,000.00. You should be able to contact your household insurance company and get a "Fine Arts Floater" policy to cover this piece separately. Prices vary from $1.00 per $1,000.00 of value and up depending upon the company. The NRA offers gun insurance too if you are a member.
Good luck........