anniversary marlin

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

chuck3902
Beginner

anniversary marlin

Post by chuck3902 »

Can anyone tell me anything about A marlin anniversary or commemorative rifle. Havent seen it but A dealer told me he had one without any explanation. What did they sell for and have they gone up in value? Thanks Charles chuck3902@insightbb.com
glock2240
Beginner

Post by glock2240 »

Chuck

I think you need to ask the dealer somemore questions, as in what model, caliber, and when it was produced. Then maybe you can get an answer to your original question.

Tim
"I hate rude behaviour in a man....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) in "Lonesome Dove"
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

It depends on what he means by "anniversary". There are numerous anniversary models based on different things. There's the 100 year anniversary, the anniversary of he 1894, 1895, 1897, etc. Plus a few other anniversary runs thrown in that Marlin has done. Things like the 1 million anniversary of a 336.
Need more info to determine which one he's referring to.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
chuck3902
Beginner

Re: anniversary marlin

Post by chuck3902 »

The rest of the story on the anniversary marlins. This dealer as best I can tell on the phone has A 1997 anniversary set. 1- 22 cal and 1- 30-30. they were shipped as A set. Apparently from storage the styrofoam has attacked the metal parts of both. Exactly how much he did not know, soon as he saw this he became (p---ed). Did not look further. But he still wants $2,000.00 for the pair. I am not up to date at all on gun prices but it seems to me he is out of his mind. Any comments? Charles
glock2240
Beginner

Post by glock2240 »

Chuck

I think the dealer might think you are a few cards short of a full deck, if he thinks you will give $2K for a set of rifles that have damage and he can't tell you exactly what set they are. You need pics showing the damage. You need to know the grade of wood. How many sets were made and what year. I would like to be able return the merchandise after an inspection period if not satisfied before I paid that kind of money.
If you can get him to supply pics, please post them here for more advise.

Tim
"I hate rude behaviour in a man....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) in "Lonesome Dove"
chuck3902
Beginner

Post by chuck3902 »

Tim: Thanks for your reply. I know this dealer, he has more money than brains. He told me they would have been worth about 6K if not for the damage. I have looked up the 22 version they are bringing 6-800.00 max, dont know about the 30-30, this is in new cond. I will not bother this gentleman again. Thanks again for your responce. Charles.
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Post by Don Anderson »

Hi Chuck:

If these are a set of one each of a 39A and a 336 engraved, it is the "Brace of 1,000" set that was put out by Marlin for their 100th anniversary in 1970. There were 1000 sets of these made and the guns were engraved by Robert Kain. The two rifles had matching numbers on the upper tang of each gun. They came in a case and like you stated, they were laid out in styrofoam. The type of styrofoam they used has a bad history of breaking down and causing rust and pitting on the metal. This definitely has an affect on the value. Depending how badly the pitting and rust is, they are probably worth 1/2 of what he is asking.

Don