Info wanted on 1898 12 ga hammer shotgun

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

jacksnjr
Beginner

Info wanted on 1898 12 ga hammer shotgun

Post by jacksnjr »

I inherited my great-grandfathers' 1898 Marlin 12 ga shotgun a few years ago, and find it to be one of sweetest shooting, perfect full choke pattern guns I have ever used in the field. He told me many years ago that he bought it using tobacco tags in the early 1900s. The serial number on the bottom of the gun is A19148. Can anyone advise me on where & how to get info on the manufacturing history of this treasured heirloom. Thanks.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Info wanted on 1898 12 ga hammer shotgun

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Jacksnjr;

What makes you think that this shotgun in a Model 1898? Does this have a straight grip or pistol grip stock? What are all the patent dates on the barrel? Is it a solid frame or a takedown action?
The reason I ask is because I have never seen a Model 1898 with an "A" prefix serial number. The prefix guns are very late, long after the Model 1898 had been replaced and parts no longer available to assemble some guns from parts.
Looking forward to your reply.....
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
jacksnjr
Beginner

Post by jacksnjr »

Thanks for the quick response Gunrunner. I was just guessing about the 1898 model because of the first patent date. The model number stamped on the stock mount indicates it is a Model 19-G. There are 9 patent dates stamped on the barrel, starting with 5/12/1896, up through 5/19 1908. As noted in my tagline, I am not an expert in antique weapons, so I am not sure what you mean by your other questions. The stock is a rather standard shotgun style, and I don't have a clue what you are asking about solid frame or takedown action. I can send along a picture if this info doesn't clear up the mystery. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Jacksnjr;

You have a Marlin Model 19-G that would have been made sometime between 1916 and probably 1918. (maybe as late as 1921, but I would doubt it)
The Model 19 is a takedown action with a pistold grip stock. The Model 19-G is an improved version of the Model 19, that was made from 1906 to 1907.
You need to be very careful when shooting these old Marlin shotguns. Marlin has issued a Service Bulletin advising owners of these old pump action shotguns NOT to shoot them The action is somewhat complicated and unless EVERYTHING inside is in correct working order, the breech bolt can be released from the action upon firing. (think where your head is when you shoot!) There is a website that gives the instructions to check the safety actions and you should take your gun through the steps outlined to check it.
You should be able to do a search on our website to find the above mentioned website.
I hope this helps, and good luck
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
jacksnjr
Beginner

Post by jacksnjr »

Thanks again Gunrunner. This is welcome information both from a historical standpoint as well as a safety one. I have always had to be extremely careful when cleaning the gun to get all the little parts back into their proper places. I will check out the website you referenced. Regards