Model 36 confusion

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
drdawg12

Model 36 confusion

Post by drdawg12 »

Just bought a Marlin Model 36, but have some confusion on the dating of the gun...

Says Model 36-RC-30-30 on the barrell, and the serial number says F4912 under the lever.

Problem is that Model 36's were changed to 336 in 1949, and apparently the last Model 36's made were in 1948, so how can this gun have an F serial number? Am I missing something? AND, isn't this a rather low serial number?

The condition is probably "good" to "fair", as far as value goes, but any help would be greatly appreciated...as I have exhausted all my known internet avenues with this one....Thanks....
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 36 confusion

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Drdawg12;

Is the receiver a Model 36 (one piece bolt that completely closes the bolt opening) or a Model 336 that has the opening in the side of the receiver with a round bolt?
If it is a Model 336, (as it should be with an "F" serial number) then Marlin simply used an existing Model 36 barrel when they assembled your rifle. (or the barrel was replaced at some time with an older barrel).
Marlin used left over parts all the time, not considering what confusion would be created for future collectors.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
drdawg12

Post by drdawg12 »

Thanks, that helps a lot. I now see the difference. Unfortunately, it is a model 336, as I can now plainly see.

Of interest, I have another 336 with a gold trigger and no serial number to speak of (that I can find)....any help on this...I was told by the older gentlemen I bought this from that it was an "ADL" but I don't see any other special engravings, stock checkering, or anything else to identify it as such...

I have started to collect very old military rifles and had these two "thrown in" to get the deal done on 2-3 older more valuable guns (incl. a model 1893), but looks as though I overpaid for these, $750 for the pair, as I'm still trying to figure out what I have...I thought the model 36 was the "non-serial #" early Model 36, and the 336 was the F 1949...but I was wrong on both counts...

The stocks are in great shape on both, but the barrels show mild scratching, minimal pitting, and some blueing gone, esp. in the creases of the receivers...I know this might be difficult to answer w/o seeing the guns, but I'm guessing $250-$275/gun? Any way to identify the age of the 2nd 336 w/o the serial number? Does the age affect these much positively or negatively?

I'm not too concerned, as of now I plan on just keeping the guns, and giving them to my son to hunt with when he gets a little older, but would be interested to know...

Great site, by the way, and I hope to learn a lot from here...if you don't mind my naivity...
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Drdawg12;

You are welcome here anytime. That what this site is for, the sharing of information and teaching about products made by the Marlin Firearms Company.
So you know, Marlin started the gold plated triggers in 1959. They stopped plating the triggers starting in 1982 The serial number should be either under the lever, on the upper tang, or on the side of the receiver, depending upon when it was made. Your serial number should be under the lever, and may have a letter prefix, two letter prefixes or a two digit prefix indicating year it was manufactured.
Your barrel may be marked Model 336 A DL, and like you other gun, was one left over and used on a non-deluxe Model 336. The DL stands for deluxe, meaning the guns stock was checkered and had factory sling swivels.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
drdawg12

Post by drdawg12 »

Thanks, I looked and there is no obvious serial number under the lever, on the upper tang, or on the receiver that I can see, but that's okay. The gold-plated trigger helps date it some. I'll keep lurking and soak up some more info from your site...

Doc
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

If you pull the butstok off, the serial number should also be on the left side of the upper tang. Sounds like someone may have removed it from the lower tang at some time, but hopefully they didn't pull the stock and remove it there too.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri May 16, 2008 2:36 am.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!