marlin 39A age

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
henrymartin

marlin 39A age

Post by henrymartin »

Hi all,

I was sent here from a different forum, in hopes that someone here may be able to shed some light on my Marlin 39A.

Well, I called Marlin, but they didn't know anything, and for parts they had directed me to a different company.

I bought this about two weeks ago. On the barrel, it say Marlin, Model 39A, NORTH HAVEN, CT (not the usual New Haven). The serial number on the tang, under the lever is 2164, no letter prefix or suffix. The stock is checkered and it is a crescent stock. Looks like someone had sanded the stock to refinish it, as the metal butt plate is slightly sticking out on one side. I took the rifle apart and all works well, but the blueing on the barrel does not exactly match the blueing on the case. It looks like someone has refinished the case in the past xx years. The model number on the tang is illegible, as the last part is worn out (the lettering), however Marlin appears in italics.

If anyone has any idea how old this one might be, I would greatly appreciate any info. Or, if you would know where to look. I just called Marlin and they either don't have any info or they are too busy to make the effort to look.

Detailed photos are available upon request by henrymartin AT verizon DOT net

Thanks to all in advance,

Henry
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Re: marlin 39A age

Post by chrifle »

sounds like a rebarreled original model 39? should not have a metal buttplate, so that could be replaced also? serial number is correct for early model 39, made 1922 - 29... with that low number probably very early production. does the stock have the S shaped pistol grip?
henrymartin

Post by henrymartin »

How do I post a picture here without having to post it online first?

As far as I know, the stock fits, but not perfectly, like the original Marlin quality. There is a 0.5 mm gap around the tang (in some spots). When I took it apart, there is a serial number carved(stamped, burnt) into the wood, and the number is in the 40 thousand range, so the stock is not original to the rifle, unless they numbered stocks differently.

When I did the serial number search, it came as "prior to 1883", and when I called Marlin today, they said it was an "antique" rifle.

If I can't post a pic, then let me know where to send it.
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

GBOT, GBUSA
henrymartin

Post by henrymartin »

Thanks to all that looked at this question, and thanks for posting the pictures.

My search, however, still remains without answers. If any of you know anything about the rifle, either from the serial number or its design, I would sincerely appreciate any info.

What years was the metal buttplate made?

Also, while the rifle works flawlessly, I would like to purchase a spare firing pin and an ejector. Marlin does not sell parts for this anymore, so where should I look?

Thanks again,

Henry
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Wisnersinc.com for the parts. As for your rifle it looks like a mix of models and parts. Mostly model 39 and 39A with the exception of the butt plate, which if it is an original Marlin part it should be serial #ed. I would suggest that if it shoots good, shoot it as it has no collector value. I would not shoot high velosity ammo through it unless I knew for sure it has a high speed bolt.
John
henrymartin

Post by henrymartin »

Thanks John.

The metal plate has no serial number, as far as I know. The stock does, as does the tang. The barrel only says 39A. It has the brass magazine tube.

How do I identify whether the bolt is a high velocity bolt?

I did shoot about 300 rnds of CCI Minimags with it last week and no problems whatsoever. Should I worry?

Thanks,

Henry
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Henry,
It's hard to explain the difference between the highspeed and the old style bolt. A person might shoot a thousand rounds or only one round before it breaks, but it WILL break if it's not HS. I'll try to get a couple of my rifles out this weekend and take pics so I don't steer you wrong. Until then I would stick to target velosity 1050fps or less. You say the stock is #ed, does it match the receiver?
John
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Pictures of Henry's bolt

GBOT, GBUSA
henrymartin

Post by henrymartin »

Sure-shot: Thanks for the help with the pics.

John: The serial on the stock is 448740 with the zero being semi ground-off so it could also be an "O". The tang number is 2164 and there is an "X" under the hammer, when you pull it back all the way.

That's about it.

Henry
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Henry,
The pics of the bolt indicate it is a high speed bolt. It doesn't appear to have the cut out across the bolt behind the lug. All the different serial #'s makes this a mixture of different models. If I were you I'd shoot it and enjoy it as it has no collector value. I did see another one on Gunbroker.com that is a mix of 97 and 39A parts if you are interested in seeing what it might bring at auction. I think it is listed as Marlin 1897 and 39. Might be worth keeping an eye on, you just never know what someone is willing to pay!
John
P.S. Even with the high speed bolt I would not recommend those CCI minimags. Stick to the regular HS or better yet use the standard velosity! You just don't know how much punishment this old metal can take till it's too late.
henrymartin

Post by henrymartin »

Thank you. I found a picture of the two bolts and suspected that it was the HS, or "upgraded" bolt, but still it is nice to get a confirmation of my suspicion. I will either stick to the Federal HS bulkpacks or buy some decent standard velocity ammo. I have bought some standard velocity CCI but it costs almost as much as a 9mm ammo.

The rifle works great and it is a blast to shoot. Although it is a mix of models, I love the crescent buttplate and the shape of the wood, overall. The barrel is a bit long, but by far, it is the best feeling 22 long gun I own.

Thanks again.

Henry

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:29 am.