Marlin .22lr 989g

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
zzrayz

Marlin .22lr 989g

Post by zzrayz »

A friend is offering to see me a Marlin rifle. I have done several internet searches and I can't find references to this model. There is no serial number that I can find on it.

I would appreciate any info I can get.
I am especially interested in what year it was made.
Is a good model?
Is it rare (if not why do I not find it listed on the internet)?

Thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin .22lr 989g

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Zzrayz;

The Marlin 989 was made from 1962 to 1965. Like many of Marlin's inexpensive guns, they were not serialized as that was an extra manufacturing step that added to the cost of the gun, and prior to 1968, firearms were not required to have serial numbers.
There were 24,843 of the Model 989 made during the production run, and the intital price was $39.95, while selling for $44.95 in 1965.
The Model 989 was changed to the 989M2 in 1965, and resembled the M-1 carbine in appearence, but with a Monte Carlo style stock. There were over 110,000 of the M-2 versions made between 1965 and 1978.
These little semi-automatic rifles do not have a lot of value, somewhere between $100.00 and $150.00.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
zzrayz

Post by zzrayz »

Thank you very much. That was very helpful.

Does the g in the model name mean anything?

The gun does not have a magazine. I have been looking for one but they all say post 1988.

The price is $125. So I guess that's fair as it is in very good shape. I have very little experience with rifles.
You said this 989 was a inexpensive gun, does that mean it was cheaply made?

Would I be better served buying a newer rifle? I see some between $120-$200 at local stores.
I can get a new savage or mossberg for the same cost (they would be cheaper when you consider they already have magazines).
Is this 989 going to shoot better or hold up better than a new rifle?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Zzrays;

The "G" usually stands for Glenfield when present on a Marlin. The gun was not an expensive gun as can be seen by the price when they were sold, but the quality was still there.
Try Numrich Gun Parts for a magazine. www.e-gunparts.com

Check to see what the price for a magazine is, then decide whether you want a new gun or the older one. Usually, the older guns were made with a little more care and time involved and the action just worked better and smoother than the new ones.
Good luck.......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.