Model 20A

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

clang
Beginner

Model 20A

Post by clang »

Is it safe to shoot modern .22 LR ammo from a Marlin Model 20A? I picked up a Frankengun (very old 20A with a Winchester Model 67 barrel fitted to it), that looks to be in good shape. I broke it down and cleaned it and everything appears to be in good order.

Thanks,

clang
If the horse don't pull you've got to carry the load.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 20A

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Clang;

The Marlin Model 20-A was made up to 1922, and the modern, high speed ammunition came out after that, so you should not use modern, high speed ammunition in the Model 20-A. Standard velocity or target ammunition would be okay, but using high speed ammunition can result in a cracked breech bolt, if it is not already. To be safe, you might consider taking it to a machine shop that has a magniflux inspection machine to see if there are cracks in the breech bolt.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
clang
Beginner

Re: Model 20A

Post by clang »

Thanks gunrunner,

I kind of figured no high speed stuff. This looks like an old one (deep scalloped butt plate). It also has the full length magazine tube. I took a close look at the breech bolt and it looks OK to me. I know that is not the same as magnifluxing, but the gun is probably not worth the money it would cost to do it.
If the horse don't pull you've got to carry the load.