1897 22 magazine tube

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

BoBo12
Beginner

1897 22 magazine tube

Post by BoBo12 »

I recently acquired a model 97 marlin 22, the spring was missing from the inner magazine tube , with all other parts there,the reciever end of the outer tube is burgered up and the shell follower on the inside tube won't track right, I've been looking on the internet for a diagram or picture of how the end of the outside tube is supposed to look and instructions on re-assembly, I would rather keep the tube original than order the replacement , from the serial # the rifle was manufactured in 1906, Thanks BoBo12 !!
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Re: 1897 22 magazine tube

Post by Hunt4em »

If you are wanting to shoot this rifle , you can get a replacement tube from Wisner's that will not require any modifications to the gun and then keep looking for an original. These tubes do show up on occasion. I have not seen or heard of one that was repaired and lasted for any length of time. Good luck!
John
Emmett Dunham
Pro-Marksman

Post by Emmett Dunham »

If you take a look at the follower you will see a pin in it that rides in the slot in the tube. The pin is hard to see and can be drifted out and replaced. I don't know what buggered up means on the outer tube as long as it is not interfering with the operation of the magazine its inside the fore arm and can't be seen. You can use spring stock that can be purchsed at Midway or Brownells and maybe some one knows the length and diameter of the spring. If someone has their magazine apart and can give you the length of the spring.
These magazines can be frustrating to work on and get working right, good luck with yours. I may be interested in purchasing your magazine if you decide to go with the new one, I have a new one on one of the rifles I have and they work fine and the only thing I don't like about it is that it does on match the finish on the well used rifle it is on.

Emmett
BoBo12
Beginner

Post by BoBo12 »

Thanks for the information, but I think I will keep trying to keep the rifle original, ordering a replacement will be the last draw, I am in no hurry , the old rifle has a decent bore and quite a bit of blueing, if I decide to get the replacement I will get in touch!
BoBo12
Beginner

Post by BoBo12 »

I figured out the magazine tube and it works and feeds great, found a used spring at a gun shop that was reasonible , rebuilt the reciever end of the outside magazine tube and got lucky I guess. Next question I have is has anybody ever heard of or seen factory dovetails in a barrel for scope mounts? I have seen a picture of a 1893( in the marlin book) that appears to have a extra dovetail ahead of the back sight that seems to be for scope mounts, any information would be very helpful as this same 1897 has these extra dovetail's and they appear to be factory or if a gunsmith done this it was a very good job! BoBo12
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

BoBo12;

Back in the time, if someone wanted a scope mounted on their rifle, they would have Marlin ship the gun directly to Malcom (listed in the back of the old Marlin catalogs) or some other telescope company for the scope and any mounting process necessary. Same with iron sights. Guns would go directly to Lyman or Marbles for mounting and sighting of non-factory sights.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Emmett Dunham
Pro-Marksman

Post by Emmett Dunham »

Yes! I would say you were lucky to put a new spring in the magazine you would have to take the tubes apart or completley take the magazine apart, quite lucky. I would search some of the sight base manufactures they have listings of different bases for different types of rifle. Remember the Model 39 rifle is still basically being manufactured and any new parts manufactured for sight or scope will fit your rifle. Any cutting or modifying by tapping the rifle will reduce the value of the rifle to a shooter. If the rifle is in good condition I would leave it alone.

Emmett
BoBo12
Beginner

Post by BoBo12 »

I don't want to brag , but once I figured it out it was really simple, I kept thinking if someone invented it in the 1890's and I have all the pieces than surely I could put it back together and make it work in 2010, but there was a lot of trial and error and lots of luck involved also! I'm really glad that I can keep it original and in working condition! I believe it helps the value if any old relic is kept as close to original when it left the factory as possible! Thanks!