Marlin model 97

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Fishman
Beginner

Marlin model 97

Post by Fishman »

I have inherited a Marlin Model 97 (serial number 411791) and have several questions about it. First, can anybody tell me what year it was manufactured? Second, the gun is in really good shape except the rifling in the barrel is completely corroded. I have shot it but it is terribly inaccurate. I am considering having a barrel lining put in the rifle. I would like the rifle to be usable but don't want to ruin any value it might have. Is a new barrel lining a good idea or not?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin model 97

Post by marlinman93 »

Your gun probably dates to the era of before WWI, but after 1906, as that's when the records ended with around 355,600. I'd guess at 1914 or so. If it were my gun I'd reline it, but only if the right guy did the work. A good liner will not be visable, and will make it a nice shooting gun. A poor liner will shoot badly, and ruin it's value. I would highly recommend John Taylor, as his liner work is as good as it gets.-Vall

http://www.johntaylormachine.com/
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Fishman;

I have a Marlin Model '97 with a serial number in the 442,000 range that is known to have been made in late 1913. Your serial number is lower, and should be somewhere in the 1911/1912 period.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
shamanka
Beginner

Post by shamanka »

I have a Marlin model 97 serial number 354108. I don't know a thing about guns, but this has a 22 on the metal plate, so I assume that's what it is. It has some other numbers on it, too: 56 & LR. I was wondering how old it is and what the approximate value might be. I have to list its value for the estate. Thanks.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Shamanka;

A Model '97 with a serial number in the 354,000 range would have been shipped from the factory in 1906. What you see beside the .22 caliber marking is an S, L, & LR for short, long and long rifle cartridges that can be used in this rifle.
Value of any antique firearm is dictated by the amount and condition of the remaining original factory finish on the wood and metal. Without knowing these conditions, it is not possible to give an accurate estimation of value at this time. The best thing for you to do is go to some of the online internet gun auction sites like Auction Arms, Gun Broker and compare your guns condition to some of those listed and watch to see what they sell for. There is Guns America and Guns International that lists guns for sale too if you want to go there.
Good luck.....

shamanka
Beginner

Post by shamanka »

Thanks so much for the great information : )
Beginner

Post by 33268460 »

I have a Marlin Model 97 S,L & LR, Serial Number A7608 that I inherited from my grandfather. Can anyone tell me when this might have been manufactured and what something like this might be worth. It's been up in the attic for 40 years. Thanks, Scott
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

Your Model 97 was most likely made in the 1916 to 1920 era. Unless the serial number is under the lever, has a Marlin Firearms Corporation barrel, a bullseye in the bottom of the buttstock or a star by the Model 97 stamp on the upper tang. Not very likey but If so than it would have been made later on.
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.
lhaas45
Beginner

Post by lhaas45 »

I have inherited a model 97 (s/n A300) from my father. From what I can find on the internet, it was built between 1905 and 1922. Can I use high velocity ammo or do I need to stay with low or medium velocity rounds?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

lhaase45;

Like the gun posted just prior to yours, it would have been made in the 1916/1917 era. This rifle was made prior to the high speed ammunition, so you really need to stick with standard velocity or target ammunition for use in it. The high speed ammunition did not come along until the early 1930's, so any .22 caliber rifle made prior to that needs to use the lower velocity ammunition.

tcollier
Beginner

Post by tcollier »

I have a Marlin 1897 handed down from my father years ago. The serial number is 324529. Hadn't shot it in a long time after loosing the ejector while cleaning when I was young. I have replaced the ejector and am ready to go enjoy shooting my rifle again. Can anyone tell me anything about my rifle?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Tcollier;

You have a Marlin Model '97 that was shipped from the factory in New Haven, CT. in 1905. It is a standard version with a 24 inch octagon barrel.
The only other thing to tell you about this gun is NOT to shoot modern, high speed ammunition in it. Use only standard velocity or target ammunition. The modern high speed ammunition is to powerful for this older rifle and will crack the breech bolt.

tcollier
Beginner

Post by tcollier »

Appreciate the info. Glad I found this place.
CrestTactical
Beginner

Post by CrestTactical »

Hello, I saw you can provide some great information I have a model 97 SN 374159, I have also been looking for some parts found some great sites. Was wondering if anyone had a part schematic that shows which pieces are which. Like where certain screw are I need some new ones but have to get the messed up ones out first(someone else’s doing) thanks for the help.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

CrestTactial;

A Model '97 with a serial number in the 374,000 range would have been made sometime about 1907. Records end at 355,300 in December of 1906, so your gun was made just after that.
If you need screws, contact Larry Osborn. He information can be found in the section of the website titled "For Sale or Trade".
A parts schematic can be found at Numrich Gun Parts Corporation. The drawing appears to be a Model 39 or 39-A, but the parts listing should be correct for what you need.