Marlin 1894 serial number question

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

ShawnY
Beginner

Marlin 1894 serial number question

Post by ShawnY »

I have a Marlin 1894 25/20 with serial number A3094. I have Brophy's book but cannot find anything about the manufacture date. Does anyone know about when #A3094 was manufactured? Thanks
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 1894 serial number question

Post by Parley Baer »

Well, we are going to need more information to pin the date down as there are no factory records for your rifle. What name did Marlin use on the barrel such as Marlin Firearms Co.? Where is the serial number located such as by the forarm. Is it a rifle or carbine? What caliber and barrel length along with the barrel shape such as round or octagon. Is there a bullseye in the bottom of the buttstock? Is there a star stamp by the Model 94 on the upper tang?
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.
ShawnY
Beginner

Post by ShawnY »

Parley, thanks for the reply.

The barrel address is as follows: "MARLIN FIRE-ARMS CO. NEW-HAVEN CT. U.S.A., PATENTED. OCT. 11 1887. APRIL 2 1889. AUGUST 1 1893." The serial number is located on the bottom of the action and is A3094. The caliber is marked .25-20 M on the top of the barrel near the action. The octagon barrel is 24 inches long and has a full length magazine. There is no bullseye. The upper tang is marked, "Marlin Model '94".

I was looking for a general date of manufacture. I have owned several Marlins but never one that had an "A" prefix to the serial number. Any idea when Marlin began using the "A' prefix.

Thanks,

Shawn
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

Thank You for the information. I believe that you have a WW1 rifle made after 1916 but before 1921. Yours is the highest serial number reported so far so in the A series. I don't know why but there have not been all that many Model 94's reported in that era. I have added your rifle to our data base.
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.
ShawnY
Beginner

Post by ShawnY »

When did Marlin begin using the A prefix? Did Marlin offer the same extras (such as checkered stocks and engraving) during the period from 1916 to 1921? Were these extras the same pattern as the pre-WarI extras?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

ShawnY;

The "A" prefix up near the forearm first came into use in the 1916/1917 era.
If any deluxe guns are found with extras, then that particular gun was assembled from parts on hand, left from the original Marlin Firearms Company that was owned by the Marlin family. I have seen some deluxe guns with letter prefix serial numbers, but not many.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.