Model 20-A Questions...Can anyone help?

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

AirTrafficControl
Beginner

Model 20-A Questions...Can anyone help?

Post by AirTrafficControl »

Good evening all.

I'm new here...first post. I am hoping someone might be able to answer a few questions for me. I just bought a
Model 20-A .22 pump rifle. Octogon barrel. Shoots .22 S/L/LR. Seems to be in pretty good condition for almost 100 years old. I paid $250.

Here are my questions:

1. I'm confused about whether the action is working correctly. I have Winchester .22 pumps and when the hammer is cocked (like when you cycle the action), the action "locks up". The hammer must be lowered and depress the spring loaded firing pin (as it would when you fire a shot) to open the action again. Not so with this Marlin. You can cycle the action while the hammer is cocked. Is this correct? or should it "lock up"? And if it's not right, any idea where the problem lies?

2. Anyone have any idea what a Model 20-A is worth, Blue Book wise? I realize it depends on condition. Mine is probably 50-60% bluing remaining...the rest is a plum colored patina. No rust. Wood is good....no chips or cracks...though it has shrunk back a little from the edge of the metal crescent butt plate. Rifling looks good and without pits. Everything appears in place and original with the exception being that I think it is supposed to have an ivory bead on that front sight. I'm just looking for a 'ball park' figure....or some opinions on whether I paid too much.

3. Ya'll think it's safe to shoot with standard velocity LR cartridges?

4. Anyone know where I can find a "correct" replacement front sight? Anyone know whether it is supposed to be a brass bead or an ivory bead?

I sure would appreciate any information ya'll can offer.
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Re: Model 20-A Questions...Can anyone help?

Post by chrifle »

As far as I know, the Marlin pumps of this design do not "lock up" like the Winchester - I have a number of these from the model 18 thru the model 47, and although I don't shoot them often, I do believe they can cycle when the hammer is cocked. ONLY use standard velocity or target ammo, or you will crack the breechbolt! The amount you paid seems about right for the condition described - "like new" condition could bring twice that much. I would feel good and enjoy the shooting value of this fine firearm! Originally, it carried an ivory bead front sight, and you can typically find replacements in the small dovetail configuration from Marbles or Lyman.
AirTrafficControl
Beginner

Re: Model 20-A Questions...Can anyone help?

Post by AirTrafficControl »

Thank you, very much, chrifle!