Ranger 22 lr model 103-3 information

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Jdogg44
Beginner

Ranger 22 lr model 103-3 information

Post by Jdogg44 »

Hello, I had a few questions about this gun Ive inherited from my grandfather. (stereotypical story i know)

The stamp on the receiver reads similar to the post title.

From what Ive found via google it was made by Marlin for sears in the 1930s, but I havent been able to find any technical info.

I was wondering if anyone knew of where to find information or perhaps a manual for it. Also was wondering what to use to clean the bolt and small rust spots from the barrel, or any info on mounting a scope (just for plinking in my backyard)

I will post detailed pics this evening.

PS looked at the cross reference guide and didnt have much luck.
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Re: Ranger 22 lr model 103-3 information

Post by Sure-Shot »

0000 steel wool softer then the metal won't do any damage dip it in gun oil and it will take off the rust you can find it at most lumber yards.
GBOT, GBUSA
Jdogg44
Beginner

Post by Jdogg44 »

Here's a few shots:
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

Jdogg44
From your photos what I believe you have is a "Store Brand" version of the Marlin Model 65 which according to Brophy's
Marlin Firearms book was produced from 1935-1937. From what I can see in your photo of the left hand side of the rifle
you have the base for a Marlin 12R receiver sight still in place. Now to really confuse us,your Ranger 103-3 was also listed as the Ranger Model 34 from info I found. The Marlin 65 , .22 short,long,long rifle, had a self cocking action,automatic ejection,walnut stock,24 inch barrel,overall length 40 1/2 inches and weight about 5 pounds.
"Let there be Welders,to attach metal things to other metal things"
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Jdogg44;

Some of the little, inexpensive Marlin, bolt action rifle receivers of that time were grooved for mounting a telescopic sight, but your gun is not one of them. So, to mount a telescope, you would have to drill and tap the receiver for a scope mount. This will take away from the original condition value of your gun. These guns do not have a great collector value as yet, but drilling and tapping will affect any value it currently has. If it were me, I would get the proper receiver sight or parts to complete your rear sight and go with that. This little rilfe has the old style Ballard rifling and will be extremely accurate without a scope.
From your pictures, the butt plate and grip cap are not original to the gun and have been added at some point. They will not have much affect on the overall value at this time, so you can leave them alone for now. The original butt plate was a flat, black plastic butt plate and the gun did not have a grip cap originally.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Jdogg44
Beginner

Post by Jdogg44 »

There are 2 small screws on the top of the receiver above where the bold sits. I bought a weaver style top mount base which lines up with the screw holes, unfortunately, the screws that came with the base are too big. I will look around to see if i can find one with smaller screws, or just leave it be. I am definitely not going to drill and tap. Thanks for the info gentlemen.
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

Just in case you can't find a scope mount that will work for your rifle ,here is what the complete 12R receiver sight would look like. ( http://www.pbase.com/tigweld/marlin_12r_sight) Just one more option for you.
Jdogg44
Beginner

Post by Jdogg44 »

Tigweld just to clarify from your earlier post, which model do I actually have? Sorry I did get a little confused there.
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

Jdogg44,
Ranger 103-3 could be a Marlin Model 65 in "Store Brand" gise. Could also be listed as a Ranger Model 34 if you look for parts. Sears Roebuck did some strange things with Model numbers. :/ YES.... very confusing