Marlin Hammer Pump Shotgun Disassembly in Pictures

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Hammer Pump Shotgun Disassembly in Pictures

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Kremp;

Right here........The Marlin Firearms Collectors Association has a copy of the old factory records that still exist.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Duane1957
Beginner

Post by Duane1957 »

I have received a Marlin shotgun from my stepfather prior to his death. On the barrel it has Marlin Firearms Co, New Haven CT. Stamped on the barrel is 4654 and on the breach is stamped 4723. Additionally it has Pat' D November 06, 1894 May 12, 1896 and June 02, 1896 on it. I cannot fin a model number on it. Some research has told me I have a Model 1898.
The wood pump handle has been replaced by a "pipe". My stepfather was a "I will fix it somehow" type of guy and usually was successful. Can anyone tell me if there are parts out there?
I am in the process of cleaning and need a couple of worn screws to start. I might leave the pipe for his legacy.
Thanks
Duane
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Duane1957;

Those patent numbers indicate that you would have either a Marlin Model 1898 or a Model 16, as neither of those two models had the model number marked on them. The difference being the Model 1898 is a 12 gauge gun and the Model 16 is a 16 gauge gun.
There are parts "out there" but you do have to look for them. Numrich Gun Parts Corporation has some parts for the exposed hammer, pump action shotguns, so look there first.
( http://www.e-gunparts.com ) I have scored some parts on eBay and Gun Broker, but they do not show up there very often.
Good luck..........

slovenskyd
Beginner

Post by slovenskyd »

Hello, I'm new to the group.

I have my Grandfathers Marlin model 21 12 GA. pump.

It's a take down gun that is disassembled and in it's case.

I can't figure out how to assemble it...

Thare is a little piese behind the slide that I just can't figure out.

Any ideas where I can go for help?

Thank you
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Slovenskyd;

The little p[iece your mentionied behind the slide is the slide stop. You do not need to worry about that until you have screwed the barrel assembly back into the receiver. First, the magazine tube must be in the extended position so it will clear the receiver when you screw the barrel back into the receiver. The barrel screws back into the receiver via LEFT hand threads. When the barrel is screwed all the way in, then move the magazine tube back into it's proper position. Then you can slide the slide back into the receiver and pick up the breech bolt. When the slide stop is opposite the notch in the barrel, push the slide stop into the notch and then extend the slide forward to the stopping point.
You have to push the button on the end of the magazine tube and twist the outside of the tube so that the button catches in the "other" hole in the end of the magazine tube to disassemble or assemble the magazine tube into or out of the proper position when the gun is either re-assembled or disassembled.
Clear as mud, right????........

bloodseekerboi
Beginner

Post by bloodseekerboi »

thnks BOB.. its kind that its hard to assemble and disassemble that pump shotgun :D :D
wes'soldmarlin
Beginner

Post by wes'soldmarlin »

hi i just inherited this old marlin its a 16g hammer pump. The only date you can clearly see is may 12 1895 there looks to be two other dates to the left and right but you cant hardly read them.there are two more sets of number stamped on the bottom of the barrel 189508C and 3080 the number on the receiver and trigger housing is 130299. The gun is in pretty good shape for sitting in a closet for 20 or so years there no pitting in the barrel and most of the blue is gone off the gun but everything else is in good shape. Im on here for two reasons one is i dont know what model its and the other reason is the end of the firing pin is broke were can i find one or will i need to go to a gun smith. i can post pictures if needed. thanks.
mrkenneth
Beginner

Post by mrkenneth »

being here in this forum for me is very interesting due to lots of ideas concerning disassembly of hammer pump shotgun and educate everyone as well when visiting this forum.
rgaines
Beginner

Post by rgaines »

Thanks for the good information!! I've had my Model 40 for so long I can't remember how or when I got it. It has a full choke, "F" located on right rear underside of the barrel. The last patent date listed on mine is 1909 and the SN is 7088. I'm not a collector or very knowledgeable about guns but for me this is a great old gun that has served me well, without any problems, for decades.

I found something very interesting under the butt plate when I first got it and tore it down for cleaning and inspection decades ago. In a hole under the the stock butt plate I found a couple of interesting mystery parts. Figuring out how and where to Install these two parts in the frame was relatively easy and obvious by matching the holes in the parts to the screw/shaft sizes in the frame.

I won't spoil the mystery/fun for you by telling you what they do. I'll leave that to the first person that finds these parts and figures out what they do. All I'll say is, to me at least, they make owning this old gun even more interesting and enjoyable.

Robert
bussdaddy
Beginner

Post by bussdaddy »

I have a National Arms Co. 12 gauge shotgun that looks pretty much identical to this gun. Is this a Marlin? I am wondering why it doesn't have Marlin any where on it? The number on the barrel is 119340 M. the number on the bottom of the action is 112179. I was told at the gun show that i acquired this shotgun at that it was manufactured in 1926. I have no clue and cant find any info on this. Thanks for any info
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Bussdaddy;

The National Arms Co. marked guns were made for H & D Folsom Arms Company of Washington, D.C. Marlin did indeed make guns for this company and several different models during production for them. Usually, private brand guns were not marked with the makers name, just the distributors at the time.
The "M" in the barrel serial number indicates your barrel has a modified choke.
As to the 1926 manufacture date, that would be hard to say without knowing which model of shotgun you have. A picture would help. Or, at best, a complete description, i.e., is it a takedown action? Is it a straight grip stock or pistol grip? Is the "hang fire" safety release a small button up near the hammer, or a lever, down by the trigger?
Looking forward to your reply........

bussdaddy
Beginner

Post by bussdaddy »

Thank you for your response, i have pics but am trying to figure out how to post them so you can see them. Its a straight grip, no pistol grip, the hang fire is located up near the hammer. What do you mean by take down action? I am sorry i have only recently got into firearms. I love it but i have a lot to learn.
bussdaddy
Beginner

Post by bussdaddy »

The hang fire is located up near the hammer. I dont think it would be considered an easy takedown. It looks a lot like the pics in the post
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Bussdaddy;

The instructions to post pictures can be found in the "GUEST SECTION" of this message board. Go to that section and look for the post "OLD MARLIN IN NEW ZEALAND" and there you will find instructions posted by Road King on how to post pictures.
Pictures will tell me if it is a takedown action or not, just need a photo of the joint between the barrel and receiver and end of magazine tube. If it is a takedown action, there will be a button on the end of the magazine tube that when you push it in, you can rotate the end of the tube, then extend the magazine so that it will clear the front of the receiver. There are other actions necesssary to complete the takedown procedure after that.
If your "hang fire safety release" button is up high, near the hammer, then this action is the earlier style action and made sometime prior to 1915. A straight grip action limits it to one of three models, a Model 17, 21, or 26. The Model 21 is the only takedown action of the three.
Looking forward to your reply.......