Marlin 336 Royal Canadian

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

metalhead2508
Beginner

Marlin 336 Royal Canadian

Post by metalhead2508 »

I have a Marlin 336 in .30-30. It is the Royal Canadian model. I cannot find any information as to the history of this series of rifles. I've only found 1 post about the same rifle and it had pictures, but I noticed that mine was different. It has a engraving of a deer(8 point) on the right side of the stock. Serial number on lower tang(Z44895) 1964 production. Micro-groove rifling, full length magazine, sling swivels, dovetail front and rear sights, drilled/tapped on top receiver. Receiver is steel.

My dad bought it for me for christmas when I was 13. The guy he bought it from had never shot it. In fact it was still in the original box when I got it. It is in near mint condition. Any information at all would be appreciated. I'd like to know what it's worth, how many were made, if it's considered a collectors item or not. Thanks.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 336 Royal Canadian

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Metalhead2508;

Marlin offered 9 different guns with the Royal Canadian theme. In the Model 336 line, there was the 336C or carbine (pistol grip stock) in either .30-30 or .35 Remington calibers and a 336T or Texan (straignt grip stock) in .30-30 caliber only. The Royal Canadian guns were sold through the Canada distributors and dealers. Any one of these versions are quite rare, especially the 336T. Some of the Royal Canadian guns had special high grade, Monte Carlo stocks and all had the Royal Canadian roll stamp on the barrel.
In 1962, Marlin offered owners of Marlin rifles to get carved stocks through regular advertising. It could be that your gun received one of these left over carved stocks or the owner sent to Marlin for one of the carved stocks offered at the time. The Marlin flyer advertising the Royal Canadian guns do not show a carved stock.
These are quite rare guns and are collectors items to those that collect the more modern Marlin guns. I would have to do some checking around to find what the value would be considered to be. I can tell you how many of the type you have if you let me know which version you have.
Looking forward to your reply......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
metalhead2508
Beginner

Post by metalhead2508 »

Thank you for the information. I have the 336RC model. Pistol grip stock. Very nice finish overall. The wood is a dark color.

I was going to include pictures but it appears that I can't attach an image yet. I also tried to PM them to you, but the privilege hasn't been instated yet.

One more question. Did the butt plate of the 60's era Marlin rifles say Marlin on them? Mine does. My grandfather has a Model 30 that he says he bought in the 70's and when I looked at it today I noticed that it didn't say Marlin on the butt plate. That could explain as to whether or not the stock on my rifle is original. Like I said, it was new, unfired, and in the original box when I got it (around 01-02).
metalhead2508
Beginner

Post by metalhead2508 »

I took off the butt stock and looked at the area where it meets the tang on the receiver. It has the same serial number as the gun stamped on the inside. Looks like it may have been the original stock and someone ordered it with the deer carving. Or maybe I truly have a one of a kind rifle worth millions....probably not.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Metalhead2508;

There were 270 of the Model 336 RC made in the .35 Remington caliber and 271 of the Model 336 RC made in .30-30 caliber in the two years the Royal Canadian was offered. They sold originally for $99.95. As I stated, quite rare!
The Model 336's did have a Marlin marked butt plate. The Model 30 your grandfather has is a Glenfield model, or a less expensive version of the Model 336 that Marlin offered. The main difference is that the wood used on the Marlin version is of American Black Walnut and the Glenfield guns usually had a walnut stained hardwood such as birch.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
metalhead2508
Beginner

Post by metalhead2508 »

Wow. I had no idea that they were that scarce. 50 yrs from now this could be quite a collectible piece if it isn't already. I appreciate the information. I couldn't find any info from my other searches, so you've helped me a great deal. Thank you.
HJS
Beginner

Post by HJS »

Hi, metalhead2508;

I'm HJS, apparently we have something in common, two of the rarest Royal Canadian 30 30's that were made, the 1964. I have one that matches your description right down to the 8 point buck. I have not pulled the stock to check serial#, don't want to disturb the screws. The stock was made from the burl of the tree with bright yellow colors in the very dark walnut grain. Is yours like that? Hope to hear from you.

HJS
kevinu810
Beginner

Post by kevinu810 »

hi i also have a model 336 with the eight point buck carving in stock mine is in 35 caliper