Marlin Model 43

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

RickSebastian
Beginner

Marlin Model 43

Post by RickSebastian »

I just inherited a Marlin Model 43 .12 gage pump action shotgun. Unfortunately, I don't know a single thing about it. I'm told it's around 70 years old, but I have no idea how to verify that. The gun was shipped to me and 5 small pieces of the butt chipped off where it connects to the gun. I have all the pieces and I assume they can all be glued back on, yes? Is this something I should attempt myself? Or should I have a dealer do it? I don't want to ruin the value (if there is any) of the gun by botching up a repair job myself.

Besides the model number in the underside, there is a number 4130 stamped on the underside as well. I assume that's the serial number. On the barrel, it has the following: Pat'd. U.S.A. Mar.24, May 19, 1908. Nov.23. 2 patents. Dec 21. 1909. July 29. 1914. Feb 23. 1915. patent pending. There are no other identifying marks that I can find.

If anyone knows anything about this gun; especially anything having to do with it's proper care and feeding; please let me know. It's obviously a lot older than I am, and I want to make sure I give it the care it deserves.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Rick
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Rick,

The model 28 was the 1st hammerless shotgun Marlin made. There were a few design bugs & when these were worked out, the improved model was the 43. These were made from 1922 - 1930. The known serial number range for these is from 537 to 17411, so I'm guessing yours to be closer to 1922 than 1930.

These were also given free to purchasers of 4 shares of Marlin preferred stock - a 100 dollar investment. I don't believe all that many model 43s were given away, but there is no way to tell if yours was one of them as no records were kept.

It would be okay to glue the stock. Be sure it's a clean break or clean it with something like aceone & let dry thorooughly. Use epoxy or something like gorilla glue, carefully wiping away any excess while it is still wet. Clamp well using other pieces of wood as a vise pad & let the glue cure for a couple days at least.

One of these is my favorite dove gun as it has a very tight choke. Dove loads & trap loads are just fine, but don't shoot a lot of high brass turkey loads or 'short magnums' as the steel will eventually peen from the pounding of the higher pressures. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
RickSebastian
Beginner

Post by RickSebastian »

Thank you very much for the reply! The info you provided was very helpful! I have no idea what a choke is or how it operates... And I have no idea what a magnum load vs. turkey load is... But your reply givs me the basis to start my research. Thanks again.

Rick
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Rick,

Basically, choke is the measure of the muzzle inner diameter. Essentially, the smaller the diameter, the tighter pattern it will shoot. You barrel should have a single letter stamped in plain sight. F = full choke or good for long shots. M = modified or a larger pellet pattern. THis is an over-simplification, but if you do an engine search for shotgun chokes, you will get a much better explanation.

The different loads I mentioned have different power levels. If you are hunting turkey, it's to the hunter's advantage to have more power as those birds can be difficult to kill. Doves & clay pigeons are much easier & require less power. At the sporting goods outlet, ask a sales person for the light loads like dove or trap & you will be in biz! SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
RickSebastian
Beginner

Post by RickSebastian »

Wow.. Prior to this conversation, the term "choke" was something I always associated with wanting to do to my children. Now it has a whole new meaning for me. :) Thanks again for your help.
michael alex
Beginner

Marlin 12 ga shotgun 1908 - 1915 patent...?????

Post by michael alex »

Hi. Well, have inherited a Marlin 12 ga shotgun from my father. Don't know much about these guns and have been trying to research with little luck.

Specs:

Marlin Firarms Corporation
12 ga shotgun
patents 1908, 1909, 1914, and 1915
Mod 43

I would be so appreceitaive of any infromation I could get on it...

Thanks for the time....
Four-Eyed Buck
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Four-Eyed Buck »

Mike ,yours would be just a hair earlier than Rick's. It's the same model as his and all the cautions that Steve gave Rick apply to yours as well. Marlin records are spotty to non-existent after 1905-6, so ball park guesses are about as close as we can get from experience.......Buck 8) :roll: :wink:
If Marlin made SA revolvers, I'd be shooting those, too!!!
SCVDon
Beginner

Re: Marlin Model 43

Post by SCVDon »

Hi fellows,

I've also inherted a model 43 from my dad. He bought it new or nearly new way back when. Dad was a machinist by trade and put twin threaded holes on the LH side of the receiver for a homemade rear sight. <sigh> I might have them welded up by a gunsmith some day. The gun is in good working condition and still has the Marlin hard rubber butt pad. It's S/N 7571 and it's a "M" marked mod. choke gun with a barrel that measures 27 3/8" to the receiver. I have a question regarding the barrel lock nut and it's adjustment. The nut was loose when I inherited it and I want to know if it is used to set chamber headspacing and locked down, not to be adjusted again, or is just a jam locknut used each time after takedown reassembly? Also, was barrel cut down from 28"?