WANTED Lever .22 W/ Straight Grip and Octagon Barrell

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

leo
Beginner

WANTED Lever .22 W/ Straight Grip and Octagon Barrell

Post by leo »

Where can I find info on all versions of the lever .22 made with Oct Barrel and staright grip? Both regular production and commemoratives or special editions? Anyone know of any for sale? Please e-mail me directly: leohamel@fairtax.net
I am looking for straight stocked, octagon or round barrel .22 lever rifles, old or modern. Seeking several for self and friends for a small "cowboy club."
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

That's a lot of guns you're talking about Leo! Marlin started building straight gripped models in 1891, with octagon barrels. They made them in the model 1891, 1892, 1897. Then dropped the straight grip with the 39, and the octagon barreled straight grip didn't reappear until 1970 with the 39CL, a 100 year commemorative. In 1971-72 they made the Article II 39a. In 1972-73 they made the 39m Octagons.
After that, the octagon .22's pretty much went away, until Marlin reintroduced them in the alter ego of the 39a, the new model 97.
Hope this helps.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Leo;

If it is information you are looking for, then by far, the best place to look is in William S. Brophy's book, MARLIN FIREARMS, A History of the Guns and the Company that made them. He covers all .22 caliber lever action guns from 1891 to 1989 when the book was first published. Marlin has made a few more commemoratives since then, but information on those is easy to find.
As far as buying same, you can visit gun shows, watch the internet auction sites such as Auction Arms, Gun Broker, Guns America and others. You can place an ad in the "WANTED" section below this forum and make contact with other collectors through this website.
The guns are out there, you just have to find the ones you are interested in. But first, I suggest you get the book and learn everything you can about the subject before buying even one. There are some unscrupulous individuals out there just waiting to take your money for bad guns.
I hope this helps.