Replacement Original Sights

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

vonshtickel
Beginner

Replacement Original Sights

Post by vonshtickel »

Hello All,
I have a question and I hope you might be able to help me. I was given my grandfather's Marlin 336 30-30 almost 30 years ago. It was given to me with a fixed power Redfield scope and see through rings that he had on it for years. Every couple of years I would take it out and shoot it and just make sure it was still zeroed and that I could still hit the target at 100 yards. It has always been rock solid! Never moved! Last week, I went out with my dad because I was going to take a deer with it this year. I set it up on the bench and took a shot (as I have done so many times before). I figured it was just a formality really, because it always had been. I wasn't on paper. I took another, just to be sure it wasn't user error... same thing. I fired a third just to be absolutely sure and it was the same result. So I assumed that the scope must have moved from being jarred or bumped, etc. So, I moved to firing with the iron sights. They have also never been off before. To my surprise, I wasn't on the target with them either. I fired a few shots from the rest just to be sure again, and the they were shooting feet (not inches) high! I adjusted the sights to the absolute rear and it was still shooting high.
My question is this, how is that even possible for one. And 2, is there anywhere I can buy replacement original sights for a 1960s Marlin 336 now that they are out of business and were taken over by Ruger?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
V
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Replacement Original Sights

Post by marlinman93 »

It sounds like you need a taller front sight to get the shots back on target, and be able to adjust from there. Since these 336's used a standard 3/8" front dovetail it's an easy thing to find a taller replacement sight. Just need to determine how tall the existing sight is, and how much taller the new sight needs to be before buying one.
You might call Skinner sights, and see if they have something, and they can recommend the right height to get you back on paper.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!