Marlin 120 shotgun

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

greg4
Beginner

Marlin 120 shotgun

Post by greg4 »

Hi guys. New to the board. I have quite a few Marlins and am looking for some info on the 120 pump shotguns. Just bought a factory new unfired one made in 1972 with a 40 inch full choke barrel. Does anyone know how many were made with the 40 inch barrel? Thanks-Greg
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Greg,

I show 6984 of the 40" barreled model 120. This barrel is scarcer than the 38" one sold during the same years. Good find!!! :D SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
greg4
Beginner

Post by greg4 »

Steve-Appreciate the info. You dont see many 40" barrels around. I've only seen 2 others and they were on old single shots. I have 3 goose guns with the 36" barrels but these are pretty common. One of them has a wood stock that is checkered from the factory. Have never seen another with checkering. It also is unfired and factory new condition. Do you have any info on the checkered model? Thanks-Greg
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Greg,

I'm not sure which model you are calling a goose gun - the model 120 deluxe had hand cut checkering during the last couple of years it was offered. The 38" barrel could also be ordered separately from the factory. SW
greg4
Beginner

Post by greg4 »

Steve-sorry. Should have said model 55. Bolt action 12ga 3 shot-36" barrels. The Original Goose Gun. I cant find anything about them coming with a checkered wood stock. Thanks-Greg
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Greg,

Every reference book I have says none of the bolt-action shotguns were checkered by the factory. The specimens standing near at hand as I type this also lack same. Unless you have some documentation showing it was done at the factory, I believe it was a custom job.

I'm not going to flat out say it never happened, though. Could you post a pic? SW
greg4
Beginner

Post by greg4 »

Steve-I'm 100% sure its factory checkered. Same exact checkering as the 25mn 22 magnum I have. Barrel says THE ORIGINAL GOOSE GUN. Its 36" full choked. The model is 55 Gll-roman numeral 2. Something else I've never noticed before is that it is drilled and tapped on the side of the receiver for what must be a scope mount. 4 holes that have plug screws in them. I'm sure this factory done too. Has the sling studs and vented recoil pad. Book shows a model 55 GDL introduced in 1997 but it has a black synthetic stock. The serial # on mine is 02439xxx. If these are dated like the 22s I take it 1998 was when it was made. I thought they had discontinued the Goose Guns. Maybe its a hodge podge of parts they had left over and threw them into one gun. Got me stumped. Maybe I'll call Marlin and see if they can shed some light on it. Wish I knew how to put a picture on here but turning this thing on is about the extent of this ol farm boys computer savy. Hey-just found another 120 pump with a 28 and 40" barrels that go with it. This one is used but still a good find. Should have it in a couple weeks. Really appreciate all your help. Greg
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Greg,

Okay, I didn't realize the goose gun was still in production. The last catalog I looked through only showed a deer hunting model bolt-action. I'm just not that up on the newer stuff. SW