50-110 Model 1895

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

cj57
Marksman 1st Class

50-110 Model 1895

Post by cj57 »

Rick,
I know Marlin didn't make the model 1895 in 50-110. Could you check this one on Wards auction, someone payed a lot
https://wardscollectibles.com/auction/A ... ?item=4058
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 50-110 Model 1895

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Clark;

I have checked it out a couple of times for members of the Association. It left the factory as a .45-90 caliber gun. Someone got "hooked" and should have checked the records. But with the price paid, there must have been 2 bidders not smart enough to check the records.
I will also say, that the records for the Model 1895 were broken down a number of years ago, and there were no fifty caliber guns listed in the records, so I knew that this particular gun was "modified" after market.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:31 am Clark;

I have checked it out a couple of times for members of the Association. It left the factory as a .45-90 caliber gun. Someone got "hooked" and should have checked the records. But with the price paid, there must have been 2 bidders not smart enough to check the records.
I will also say, that the records for the Model 1895 were broken down a number of years ago, and there were no fifty caliber guns listed in the records, so I knew that this particular gun was "modified" after market.
Unfortunately Wards Auction people are not well educated on firearms they auction, and almost always take information they get from the consigners as gospel. I live close to Wards and have tried to help them when I see things listed incorrectly, so they will hopefully learn and do better. But sometimes they resist assistance if the seller is adamant about what he's told them. Sadly this is a case where they didn't change the erroneous info they got.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Vall;

I have had the same problem with a well known auction company. They have sold several "factory engraved" guns that were not factory engraved, but very poor fakes. They refuse to listen, so I refuse to buy from them. If they will not recognize a fake when pointed out to them, and are willing to well knowing sell a fake, then they do not get my business. It hurts sometimes when they do have a good item worth bidding on, but I refuse to give them my money when they cannot be trusted to tell the truth.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
cj57
Marksman 1st Class

Post by cj57 »

Rick,

Thank you! It's a shame someone paid a lot for it. A 95 you looked up for me a while ago, was a 40-82 with a short barrel, that looked good, but was cut down and I contacted auction house, they didn't respond and sold it as a rare shortie for around 3000+. We try to prevent people from getting taken, and it doesn't always work! Thanks again for helping us out!