Marlin "G" grade external hammer pump shotguns ??

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

BUSSMAN69
Beginner

Marlin "G" grade external hammer pump shotguns ??

Post by BUSSMAN69 »

Well once again I am at a dead end in my research on a Marlin gun. I have been very aggressively collecting Marlin firearms for about 3 years now. My emphasis was been mainly on the old lever guns. The models 1881, 1888, 1889, 1892, 1893, 1894, 1895, 93, 94, 36, and 1936. And also the pump action model 27 & 27S. Recently I have expanded into the old external hammer pump shotguns. I have acquired around 60 guns in the last 3 years and all are in good shape and in shootable condition.
So I just acquired a Model 30 Shotgun in 16 gauge. Brophy lists 4 different grades for this shotgun, but this one is roll stamped on the top receiver tang as "Marlin Model No 30-G". Brophy mentions nothing about this "G" grade at all ?? In the area of the Brophy Bible that is on the Model 30 in 20 gauge, there is a picture showing the upper receiver tang roll stamped with the "30-G" designation. But that's it, one picture with no explanation and no supporting text at all. So what is the difference between a Model 30 shotgun in either 16 or 20 gauge, that is a "G" grade compared to the other grades of the same gun ? And why is the "G" roll stamped on the top receiver tang, when if it is a Grade A, B, C or D, it is not actually marked on the gun anywhere ??
And to further confuse me, I just acquired a Model 17 Gunsmith Special that I am going to fix up and restore. And it is roll stamped as a Model "17-G" on the top receive tang as well. So what is the mystery behind these "G" grade shotguns ?? Thanks.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin "G" grade external hammer pump shotguns ??

Post by marlinman93 »

See here:
https://marlin-collectors.com/forum/vie ... php?t=7812

The G wasn't a grade designation, it was simply a Model, unlike the A thru D grades of shotguns.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

BUSSMAN69;

The difference of the "G" models is internal. Page 358 of Brophy explains that these are improved versions of those models with the "G" designation. The designation was made so as to make ordering replacement parts easier and to insure the correct parts were ordered. Also, be advised that besides the letter "G", there are D, N and S marked guns.

The difference between the A, B, C and D grade guns was the external appearance, The A grade was the standard grade gun with a cold rolled steel barrel. The B grade gun had nicer, checkered wood with a Special Smokeless Steel barrel. The C grade had a factory engraved receiver with fancier checking and even nicer wood. The D grade gun was the best with more engraving, Circassian walnut stocks with fancier checking and a Damascus barrel.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
BUSSMAN69
Beginner

Post by BUSSMAN69 »

Well once again, the answer to my question was in Brophy's book. But finding it is another matter. I wish there was a long, detailed index in that book. The wealth of information in it is mind boggling. But sometimes the answer you are looking for is nowhere near the chapter on the firearm that you are researching. To add to the frustration of trying to find your answer.
So A big Thank You again for the response back and answer to my question. So now I will know what the "G" means in the model number for future reference. That is one great thing about this Marlin Collectors Association forum. You will ALWAYS get a response back on your questions. And get a very detailed explanation to go with the answer. I am on several other firearm forums on the internet as well as this one. Remington, Winchester and Smith and Wesson's. Some of them you can ask a legitimate question on, and NEVER get an answer or a single response back. Even though 400 people will read your post. This Marlin Forum is the best for getting your questions answered almost immediately and very well explained as well. My hat is off to the Moderators of this forum. Keep up the great work that you do.