1881 Ejector

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

villachaise
Beginner

1881 Ejector

Post by villachaise »

Hi all,
I've had a Marlin 1881 45/70 for a number of years and have never fired it, but am wanting to. It had a broken trigger when purchased and part of a lip on the carrier block spring was broken as well (I believe this is one-piece, not two like others). A few years ago I was able to find a replacement trigger (and even found a second!) so I replaced that.

I've cycled it with empty casings and it will feed, so I'm not concerned about the carrier, but one part that's broken still is the ejector (?). It sits inside the breech face of the bolt and has a U-shape around the firing pin. A quarter of one of the "U"s is broken off. My question is whether or not it's safe to fire with that piece missing...

I'm not sure how others feel about antique Marlins, but would prefer to use black powder if possible. I also don't want to be stupid and reckless, hence why I ask the question about the ejector. Serial number is around 1700, so I believe it's circa 1881. I'm almost certain the barrel was cut down to 26, so it's no collectible, but still curious about being able to at least test fire it as I looked long and hard for a trigger, ha!

Anyways, sorry for the long post, but am hoping for some advice. It's my only Marlin; I had a 444P but unwisely sold it in need of funds back in my college days...
villachaise
Beginner

Re: 1881 Ejector

Post by villachaise »

I don't have photos of the actual part in question, only the rifle itself. If anybody has suggestions on how to post photos I can share. I forgot to mention, I also forgot I do have another Marlin, a Marlin Ballard 22 (whatever caliber it used to be, I don't know...)
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

It wouldn't be prudent for any of us to tell you your gun is safe to shoot without a hands on inspection. The part your gun is missing can possibly be found at either Wisner's Gun Parts, or by calling Larry Osborn who sells Marlin screws and used parts. 208-651-6300 That's PST zone Idaho.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

I needed the same part a couple of years ago and ended up buying a complete bolt from Larry Osborne to get the ejector. Nobody seemed to be making this part.
If you are having problems posting pictures and can't figure it out you could send the pictures to my email address and I can post to this post for you.

bwatson0568@rogers.com
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Villachaise;

Your Marlin Model 1881 is too early for the factory records, but Marlin did make some Model 1881's with a 26 inch barrel. To be sure, it should measure exactly 26 inches. There is no plus or minus on the Model 1881 barrel length, unlike later Marlin rifles that can vary as much as 1/8 to 1/4 inch in length.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.