ROLL MARK ON A MODEL 30, 16 GAUGE BARREL

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

BUSSMAN69
Beginner

ROLL MARK ON A MODEL 30, 16 GAUGE BARREL

Post by BUSSMAN69 »

I am considering a Model 30 external hammered pump shotgun in 16 gauge. But I suspect that it has a Model 16 barrel on it. Brophy clearly says that the model 16 barrel has the same patent dates as the model 1898. 1894 and 1896 patent dates. And that's what this Model 30 has roll stamped on the barrel as well. But Brophy doesn't say anything about the what the proper roll stamp should be on a Model 30 barrel in 16 gauge ?? Did Marlin use Model 16 barrels on the 16 gauge Model 30 as well ? Or what should the proper barrel roll stamp be on a Model 30 in 16 gauge ?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: ROLL MARK ON A MODEL 30, 16 GAUGE BARREL

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

BUSSMAN69;

Page 352 of Brophy shows a chart with the patent dates for each model of the Marlin shotguns.
Now it may be possible that your Model 30 is early enough in production that a correct marked barrel was not available and the Model 16 barrel was installed. Marlin was not a company that let parts go unused when something would work. Who would care of the barrel markings was current or not. Use what worked.......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
BUSSMAN69
Beginner

Re: ROLL MARK ON A MODEL 30, 16 GAUGE BARREL

Post by BUSSMAN69 »

Well once again, thank you for answering my question. And once again, the answer is in Brophy's book also. I think I have read it over and over, and it still amazes me with all of the information that is in there. That table with the shotgun patent dates is just what I am looking for. And I will use that in the future too. Thanks again for the fast response back to me and the answer to my question also. It is appreciated.