Found a rusted Marlin 27-s

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

JoeDadPopPop
Beginner

Found a rusted Marlin 27-s

Post by JoeDadPopPop »

Found a rusted hulk of a rifle in my basement wall alongside the foundation. It does not have enough meat to attempt a restoration but I’ve determined it was a Marlin 27-S after months of looking at countless images on the internet. Is there any way to verify the caliber of the rifle purely from barrel length, the magazine slide or other markings or locations of pins? I am in the process of renovating the basement and would like to find an otherwise decent version of the same rifle to hang with the one I found over the mantle. It has an octagon barrel and is missing all the wood as well as the pump mechanism and bolt.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Found a rusted Marlin 27-s

Post by marlinman93 »

Is the bore clear so you could measure diameter with dial calipers? That would help possibly identify the cartridge chambering.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
JoeDadPopPop
Beginner

Post by JoeDadPopPop »

The bore is pretty much rusted shut. I will see what it takes to post a picture. The only distinguishing features are the receiver slot where the bolt went, it has a hexagon barrel, a couple of steel bars where the butt stock attaches and a hole where the magazine tube would have entered the receiver and an indentation where the pump action would have been mounted….oh, and a hammer and the trigger guard.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Barrels are 8 sided, so octagon. The two "bars" are top and bottom tangs for attaching stocks. If the barrel is plugged you should still be able to maybe use dial calipers to get a close estimate of bore size which might help determine cartridge.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
JoeDadPopPop
Beginner

Post by JoeDadPopPop »

Octagon, I stand corrected