Marlin Model 47 - research project

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Deldillco+
Beginner

Re: Marlin Model 47 - research project

Post by Deldillco+ »

I'm returning to this thread after being away for a number of years. I've retread all the responses. I also see that Chrifle has not been on this thread for awhile. He had once said that he would update the data base quarterly. I'd love to see what information has been amassed. Maybe I'm just looking in all the wrong places:(
I have a very old post as deldillco regarding the number of Model 47's that could have possibly been given away in the stock for guns program. I would like to reignite that conversation given the information now included in the data base.
I'd like to add serial numbers (just s/n I didn't collect all the other info) to the list that I've observed on various sites. 3136, 3830, 4892, 4907
Regards
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Post by chrifle »

Happy to be back and posting a data update to this project!

Current known range of serial numbers is 181 - 5155 (only 3 verified with 3 digit serial numbers). From this range, I have ~1.5% of the inclusive numbers reported, with the following number of rifles per serial range: #181 - 1999 = 14, #2000-2999 = 21, #3000-3999 = 14, #4000 - 5155 = 23; plus a few auction sales where the serial number was not disclosed or unable to be verified. It is highly unlikely that production numbers for the model 47 were ~5,000 units, and I continue to look at possibilities of other models sharing this serial range. At the moment, I am looking at the model 410, as well as the 29N. Looking to discuss these further with anyone interested - probably best to start a new thread or work via private messaging?

Less than 10% of the rifles reported have the Rocky Mountain adjustable rear sight, with no obvious link to production timing - likely a "special order" item only! Virtually all front sights were brass or ivory beads, this can be assumed standard.

Round barrel length appears variable between 21.5 and 23". Brophy mentioned standard length of 23", but preponderance of reported data indicates 22" is more common, with 8cm or ~3.125" from end of mag tube to end of muzzle.

The non-script, MOD.47 tang marking is present on ~15% of the rifles, all but one below #2000.

best regards, chrifle
GeneB
Beginner

Post by GeneB »

Going back through all of the posts again I see a couple things I can possibly explain. It has been accepted that the Model 47 was only offered through the stock option program and the number recorded for that does not match the production number suggested by the observed serial numbers, that does not appear to be correct and the Model 47 was also sold through retailers.

I recently found listings from two catalogs that have the Model 47 listed, so the gun was retailed. The 47 is listed in the Sears & roebuck Fall & Winter 1929-30 catalog (page 640) and in the Edw. K. Tryon catalog from the same time frame. There also might be more retailers that handled these.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Every stock option gun Marlin made during the Depression era was eventually sold over the counter when not enough people took the stock option deal.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Post by chrifle »

Interesting replies! From serial number reporting, at this time, a maximum of 5,155 Model 47 rifles would have been produced. This assumes a start at serial#1 and also no serial# sharing with other models. The stock option program was said to have sold ~2300 guns over 2 periods during 1930 & 1931, but also comprised 10 models for choice! We have to consider what model would be most relished? The range was from the new model 50 .22 autoloader, the venerable model 39, 3 model .22 pumps, or 5 shotguns including the model 410. I doubt the choices were evenly split. This was the depression era, and I consider a potential for sharing of serial numbers for models introduced at that time - could be the 29N (pump with 23" barrel) and the model 410 (built on the rifle model 1893 frame). A few questions I pose:
Would the production really be in full swing across all models, requiring a separate series for those just introduced?
Could the U series of the model 410 shotgun signify a "unique" or "unmixed" serial series beyond 1931? This would assume the U series came after the numbered guns... I don't know if the production order is known?
How fast was the model 47 cyanide case coloring process? How many per day / vat? Think about only 2 years of production, 700-800 days, and were they really making 6 or more of this model every day? I believe they were using barrels from the model 37 - same rollstamp, and just adjusting length down from 24", maybe due to muzzle damages?
The 29N wood essentially matches the 47, simply without the checkering step!
So far I have found no duplication of model 47, 29N, or 410 serial numbers, but granted my sample size is just over 100 numbers within a range of 5000. Much more needs to be discovered! Appreciate all comments.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I seriously doubt production levels during the Depression years were very high, and quite likely lower than years before or after. With the company seeing reduced sales already, I'd find it hard to believe they'd even be making 50% of the numbers made in good years.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!