model 39 ammo

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

cridder

model 39 ammo

Post by cridder »

am looking for imfo on the proper ammo to us in a marlin 39 not an A . also would like to know manufature date of said gun serial # 11,xxx this gun is owned by a fiend and i saw him shooting high speed ammo in it and advised him to use standard velocity ammo only. was i correct?
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Exactly right! The bolt on the old39s has a machined cut that greatly weakens it. If fired extensively with the hotter ammo, it will break. Maybe later rather than sooner, but break it will. While I don't shoot mine too much, I bought some longs & those work just fine. Shorts & CB caps are okay, too. I have used Aguilla 60gr subsonic in other Marlins, but I am leery of them in the older guns. Due to value appreciation, I am very cautious of what I fire in them. You were correct to caution you friend. When the bolt breaks, replacements are virtually impossible to find. SW

Post by Guest »

A great load for these guns is Aguila .22 subsonic hollow points. If you can't find them, then get Remington subsonic hollow points. Either ones will be safe. I have also fired Remington target and Aguila target solids with no problems. DON'T use any high velocity ammo in the old 39s UNLESS they have a "HS" stamped before the serial number. Only use ammo marked "subsonic" or target. I shoot the heck out of my old 39's and '97's and they are fine as long as you stay away from the high speed stuff. You can also shoot standard velocity shorts, but sometimes they don't group as well as the long rifles, and the subsonic LR HP's will kill small game better than any short.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Some of these early model 39 Marlins were refitted with high speed bolts, but unless you know what you're looking at, it's tough to tell. I always stick with standard velocity, even on my 1938 vintage model 39, which does have the high speed bolt.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Ultona
Marksman

Post by Ultona »

I always shoot standard velocity in my pre-war Marlins too. I find they often shoot better than high velocity in these guns anyway. I also think the Marlin pump .22's are weak and so shooting standard velocity across the board just simplifies everything. I have a couple old Marlins that should be low speed, but have had the high speed bolt fitted to them. Did Marlin sell these separate, or did you have to send you gun back to get the new bolt? The two old 39's I have both work perfectly as though they had the bolts fitted at the factory. They certainly didn't come with the high speed bolt originally, as one of them has the old '97 type tube latch and the rare transition buttplate that has lettering like on a normal 39 buttplate, but a hump at the top like a '97 buttplate. Now there is one buttplate I don't want to crack! :D
Doc Sharptail
Beginner

Post by Doc Sharptail »

The CCI CB Long is an excellent load for the older Marlins. Although it is hard to find in some areas, it is well worth the effort. The CCI CB short shoots well too. The previously mentioned Rem subsonic is a good choice too. If you get failure to fire with the Rem stuff, it is not the gun, but the ammo- some poorly primed lots slipped through....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Ultona,
I believe that Marlin either retrofitted the high speed bolts, if sent to them, or possibly sold them to qualified gunsmiths for installation. I've seen a number of them that were changed, so it must have been a popular thing.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
jackman
Beginner

Ammo issues for my 1955 39?

Post by jackman »

Do I have the same ammo issues for my recently purchased (today!) model 39. I think it is a 1955, SN J22XXX. What can I safely shoot in this gun? Thanks.
Ultona
Marksman

Post by Ultona »

No, any Marlin made after the early 1930's is fine with today's high speed ammo. Late Model 39's and all 39A's are safe with high speed stuff. Gotta check the 39's though, as some late models had "HS" stamped by the serial number for "high speed" but I have also seen some with no prefix that were high speed despite the lack of "HS" marking. They weren't converted low speed guns either, as they had late features like the bayonet lug type mag tubes and "unbreakable" fiber type buttplates used on only the last of the 39s, right before the 39A's came out. Sorry to ramble on, your gun is fine with high speed :D