Value of refinished 1948 39a + NIB 25 year old 39a value?

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Mark 2
Beginner

Value of refinished 1948 39a + NIB 25 year old 39a value?

Post by Mark 2 »

Hello,

I recently looked at a 1948 39a that had been refinished, both metal and wood. It was a very nice job with one major exception. Whoever did it sanded way too much off the butt stock where it mates with the tang resulting in a poor looking fit. Other than that it's super sharp looking. That said I suppose it's collector value is pretty much down the tubes but as a shooter it could be excellant none the less. It has a Lyman receiver sight mounted. Price was around $350. Is this a realistic price? Would you knowledgeable 39a people jump on it or walk away from it? Or somewhere in between?

Also from the same party is a 25 year old NIB 39a also for $350. I haven't seen it yet but have been told it's condition really is "as new". Is this a grab-it-now price as my gut tells me?

As you can tell from my questions I don't know much about these guns. I've been looking for some time but have not found anything but clapped out junk for nearly the same price as the two guns I'm talking about above.

Thanks for any input and/or suggestions.

Dave
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Dave;

Run away from the refinished gun as the price is to high. There are good guns out there for that money. A refinished gun is just that, and it will never get any better.
On the other hand, if the 25 year old 39-A is new in the box, then that is a very fair price for a pre-cross bolt safety gun in that condition.
I hope this helps.
Mark 2
Beginner

Post by Mark 2 »

Great answer and it helps a bunch! From the guys at RFC I got the same response regarding the refinished gun and will stay away from it. From you I got the most direct response about the newer gun. One fellow on RFC thought $350 too high for that gun. I don't agree.

Now here's a more direct question about the 1980 gun in general. Would you consider 39a of that period to be a better built gun than current production?

Many thanks, Dave
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Dave;

I do not know about the quality of the current product vs. the older product, but I do know I would prefer the gun without the cross bolt safety over the guns made now that have it.
Quality I would have to say is very comparable between the two, and if I had to guess, the older gun might be a little better, but I cannot say that for sure. I have some of the new guns and a few of the older guns, and I really cannot see much difference. If you were talking about a 1970's or earlier gun, then I would say they are much better than either the 1980 or the 2005 gun.
Not much help I know, but I hope this helps.