Marlin 81

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

dontknowathing
Beginner

Marlin 81

Post by dontknowathing »

Does anyone have any information on the Marlin 81 it has no serial number. I wanted to know the production dates and any other information about it.

thanks,
JohnK
Sharpshooter

Post by JohnK »

I was just scanning through my Marlin book by William Brophy and saw your question. I too was curious to know the answer to your question, so I looked the Model 81 up. Here's what I found out.

The Model 81 was introduced in 1937 and is similar to the Model 80 except it has the tubular magazine. There are several different versions of the Mod. 81 and they are; 81, 81E, 81B and 81BE.

Back in those days serial numbers weren't required on these rifles, so it's not uncommon to find early 22 caliber rifles without serial numbers.

There's no mention as to how many were produced, so I can't help you there.

I hope that helps a little :wink:
uno676
Beginner

Marlin 81

Post by uno676 »

Do they stamp the model varition on the barrel or are all varitions stamped with just model 81 on the barrel?
Thanks,
DarthZeth
Beginner

Post by DarthZeth »

Wow, the first time I come to the forums, and here is my question right on top!

I just picked up a Marlin Model 81 DL from a friend who wanted to donate it to our school club. (it’s a bolt action, tube magazine fed 22 rimfire rifle) I was wondering about the Serial Number as well, but I see that it is not out of the ordinary to not have one on these guns.

I was looking for the SN so I could request a manual from Marlin. Does anyone know where I can find a manual online? That would save them and me a little time and trouble.

As to the rifle itself, is this a valuable rifle in any way? If this is any sort of antique rifle, I'd feel bad not letting the guy who donated know about it.

It looks in generally decent condition. The stock has some scuffs and scratches from light use, and the barrel is a little discolored and scratched, but no rust. I'd feel comfortable shooting it after a quick clean and oil, but I'll let the gunsmith at the local shop check it out first.

Thanks for your help!
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

DarthZeth the DL stands for Deluxe. There are a lot of these firearms but fewer DL models, it is middle of the range as far as collectable, due to the numbers. Collectability really depends on if it is in original condition without modifications or refinishing, the condition as in nicks, gouges, blueing, or case colors etc. . Since the only 22's I collect are 1892's or 1897's I can't tell you more than that.
dontknowathing, the model number should have the letter designation.
GBOT, GBUSA