WAY way way OT........

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Chugwater
Beginner

WAY way way OT........

Post by Chugwater »

First, I know nothing in the world about shotguns.

I recently was given an old black powder, double barrel, 12 ga, Essex shotgun. I can't find a serial number. On the left side just above the triggers is a very faint "Essex" on the barrel rib is stamped "Amory Steel" and something else I can't make out. I googled Essex and went to a site in England but no help.

I think what I have is a nice old wall hanger, but, does anyone know anything about Essex? I'm thinking it was probably made in England and imported into the US in the late to middle 1800. There are no import marks or any other kind of marks that I can find.

Do any of you astute historians know anything about the company?

Chug

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Chugwater;

According to one of my books, "Essex Gun Works" was a trade name used by the Crescent-Davis Firearms Company on shotguns made for the Belknap Hardware Company in Louisville, Ky.
There were lots of these inexpensive shotguns made by little known companies for the larger hardware stores.
I hope this helps.
Chugwater
Beginner

Post by Chugwater »

Ren,

Thanks much. I really appreciate the info and it[s much as I suspected.

Chug
Chugwater
VladTepes
Beginner

Post by VladTepes »

Just on that...

It was very common for manufacturers of cheaper (attainable) firearms to modify the name of one of the well known European gunmakers (eg "Hollis & Hollis" might become "Hollis Bros.") in an effort to get some of that 'cachet' or goodwill. That is, to give the impression that the firearm is something more special than it is.
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie.

Oi, Oi, Oi !!!