Marlin Model 47 - research project

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Deldillco+
Beginner

Re: Marlin Model 47 - research project

Post by Deldillco+ »

I'm returning to this thread after being away for a number of years. I've retread all the responses. I also see that Chrifle has not been on this thread for awhile. He had once said that he would update the data base quarterly. I'd love to see what information has been amassed. Maybe I'm just looking in all the wrong places:(
I have a very old post as deldillco regarding the number of Model 47's that could have possibly been given away in the stock for guns program. I would like to reignite that conversation given the information now included in the data base.
I'd like to add serial numbers (just s/n I didn't collect all the other info) to the list that I've observed on various sites. 3136, 3830, 4892, 4907
Regards
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Re: Marlin Model 47 - research project

Post by chrifle »

Happy to be back and posting a data update to this project!

Current known range of serial numbers is 181 - 5155 (only 3 verified with 3 digit serial numbers). From this range, I have ~1.5% of the inclusive numbers reported, with the following number of rifles per serial range: #181 - 1999 = 14, #2000-2999 = 21, #3000-3999 = 14, #4000 - 5155 = 23; plus a few auction sales where the serial number was not disclosed or unable to be verified. It is highly unlikely that production numbers for the model 47 were ~5,000 units, and I continue to look at possibilities of other models sharing this serial range. At the moment, I am looking at the model 410, as well as the 29N. Looking to discuss these further with anyone interested - probably best to start a new thread or work via private messaging?

Less than 10% of the rifles reported have the Rocky Mountain adjustable rear sight, with no obvious link to production timing - likely a "special order" item only! Virtually all front sights were brass or ivory beads, this can be assumed standard.

Round barrel length appears variable between 21.5 and 23". Brophy mentioned standard length of 23", but preponderance of reported data indicates 22" is more common, with 8cm or ~3.125" from end of mag tube to end of muzzle.

The non-script, MOD.47 tang marking is present on ~15% of the rifles, all but one below #2000.

best regards, chrifle