Marlin Serial Numbers 1916 to 1921 Era

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Marlin Serial Numbers 1916 to 1921 Era

Post by Parley Baer »

On another forum the discussion started to get into the Marlin serial numbering system in the 1916 to 1921 era. A number of people and with good reason thought that the lever action rifles were all mixed in with the serial numbers as was done in the previous system that ran from 1 up to around 450000. The new system starting in 1916 have an A, B, C or D prefix and this runs up to probably sometime in 1921.

Here is one of the reasons I was thinking that maybe some rifles such as the Model 97 in that time frame had there own serial numbers. I have never ran across a Model 97 that did not have a A prefix to the serial number. Now if they were indeed part of say a "lever action" serial numbering system I would expect to see the Model 97 show up with a B, C or D prefix. They appeared to be a pretty good seller so they should be scattered throughout the A, B, C and D serial numbers. I just have not seen this an in Brophy's book he only lists the A prefix and showing up.

Moving on to the Model 94. In my research on the Model 94 I have seen the A, B and D prefix. In all my research I have only ran across 6 Model 94s with an A prefix and from what I can tell they were made in the 1916 to 1921 period with nothing to suggest they were made after 1921. Now those with the B and D prefix either have no special identifying features such as those made before 1921 or have the serial number under the lever, have a bullseye or have a star or a combination there of. This is one of the things that drives me nuts trying to find out when they were made. :mrgreen: Again I only have 5 recorded with a B prefix but 29 with a D prefix.

The Model 92's I have ran across all have had the A prefix save one which has a C prefix.

I think Rick saw a model 1895 with an A prefix.

When I was doing research on the Model 1893 I have seen them through out the A, B, C and D serial number ranges with the numbers suggesting that they ran from A1 to A9999, B1 to B9999, C1 to C9999 and D1 to maybe D9999. I don't know if all the numbers were used but that is a lot of Model 1893's for that time period an would leave credence to the theory that the lever action rifle serial numbers were indeed intermixed. I would love to hear other thoughts on the subject.
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Serial Numbers 1916 to 1921 Era

Post by Parley Baer »

I did some quick research on the Marlin Model 92 and found some more serial numbers with a C prefix and some more with an A prefix. So there are at least two groups of serial numbers with the Model 92 in the 1916-1921 era. The three with the C prefix are C6890, C69XX and C7090. Those with the A prefix are A1358, A1779 and A6396. More work to do in this area.
marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

Parley: I have a 92 listed with the serial# C6952 I don't think you have it.
I try to list only the serial numbers of rifles that I have seen the picture of?
I have a few questions I will throw at but I will just throw them one at a time.

Where are the rifles with the B prefix.
From the numbers I have collected with the letter prefix's the B is rare.
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

Regarding the B prefix I know the Model 1893 and Model 94 had them. With the 1893 I know some of the "B" prefixes went to Mexico and I would assume that was because of Poncho Villa from some of the contacts with people and emails who have got guns out of Mexico. I remember one though being a high "A" prefix with the rest "B". That I believe is the reason you do not run across as many "B" prefix Model 1893s considering how many show up in the A, C and D prefixes. They went South of the border.

In the Model 94 I only have recorded five rifles with the B prefix. B1121 which is just a standard rifle. B7884 again with nothing to distinguish it. Now B7923 and B8010 both have the bullseye and star. Then there is B8508 that has engraving which could be factory but without seeing it in person I have no way of knowing for sure. The Model 94 is really an enigma with the letter prefixes. Things are just that not clear cut.
marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

lery
1 of 1
Enlarge Image
[+] Enlarge Images
Item condition: Used, Minor Wear.
Item number: 923885223
Item caliber: .32 (other)
Seller stock #: Marlin 92
Item location: WI

Classified Ad

Price:
$450.00
Shipping: 30.00
Payment options: Check Money Order
Return policy: No Returns

Seller Details
Name: teton
Seller since: Jun. 2000
User level: Verified
FFL dealer: No
Ask seller a question
No feedback Yet View All Items from teton
Security Verification
This seller has completed 21 transactions

[Address has been verified] Address has been verified and will be sent on request at completion of transaction
Click here to request seller's GunsAmerica Verified Address
what's this?
Have one to sell? Sell Now ! Sell it yourself, Ship it yourself, or use a GA DropOff Location!
Description Shipping and payments Additional information
This Marlin Mdl. 1892 is the .32 Rim fire cal.It is a good solid piece. Barrel length i 24". This one bears the serial number C7090. It has a strong bore. Wood and metal are good to very good. I ship same day. I insure and send priority mail via the USPS. Of course the 3 day inspectio
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Your research seems to endorse the idea that they did indeed continue to mix the models throughout common letter prefixes, a you have recorded numerous models with the A prefix.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Diego Casta Loza
Beginner

Post by Diego Casta Loza »

hello from Zactecas-Mexico.
I have a Marlin model 1893 with serial number B4XXX, has 26 inch octagonal barrel, .30-30 cal.
Here in mexico ammunition are not achieved. But we love these weapons.
also I have a winchester model 1894 .30-30, tubular magazine with 3/4 length of the barrel, and sadle ring that belonged to General Lopez.

I'll try to add photos.