Model 39

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

NClegless

Model 39

Post by NClegless »

I have inherited a Model 39 from my Father. I was trying to get insurance coverage and my insurance man requires an estimated value. What I am looking for is a manufacture date for serial number 5857 (no HS or other alpha). Since it ws given to my Father when he was a boy I know it has to be early 20's or so. Told the insurance guy I would never sell it but he insists.....any ideas?
oldwolf
Beginner

Post by oldwolf »

Some of the more knowledgeable members will certainly chime in but that is a low number (4 digits)! At some early point, these rifles were not of the current “take down” design. Is yours take down? I.E. is there a large thumbscrew on the right side of the receiver?
Last edited by oldwolf on Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
OldWolf
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

All Marlin .22 lever actions from the 1897 forward are takedown models. The gun you have is most likely early 1920's as you suspected. It is impossible to guesstimate the gun's value, without seeing it, or getting a hands on appraisal. They can run from a couple hundred dollars for poor condition, to well over $1,000 for very nice guns. Pristine 39's can be even higher, as nice case colors are very desireable!
So I hope you understand how we can't guesstimate the value.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
nclegless
Beginner

model 39 take down

Post by nclegless »

It is definately a takedon model. I love it!!!! :D [/code]