IMPORTANT QUESTIONs

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

DIANAL
Beginner

IMPORTANT QUESTIONs

Post by DIANAL »

I am looking for important feedback from all of you gun enthusiasts. I would like to compile information on the direction of Marlin Firearms and H&R Firearms; the kind of information I am seeking is specific:

1) What are your opinions on Marlin Firearms?
2) What are your opinions on H&R Firearms?

3) What do you feel are their key strengths and weaknesses?

4) What about their products do you like or not like?

5) If you had a chance to run the company, what ideas and plans would you introduce?

In conclusion, please ad any other information you deem relevant.

Thanks,
Diana
Dianavkslynch@aol.com
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Hmmm.... The questions seem a trifle open-ended for a marketing survey, but here goes... :roll:

(1) I have a very favorable opinion of Marlin firearms.
(2) My opinion of the H&R line is somewhat less favorable.
(3) Strengths: American made - simple design -
Weaknesses: wood to metal fit
(4) Wood to metal fit
Lack of depth in the product line
(5) I would offer a wider variety of limited runs that would include more calibers not currently offered.

Assuming this is a serious survey, what is the purpose of it? I see this in a similar light as any other question here - the more information you provide, better and more complete answers will follow.

Having a little experience in the marketing field, this whole topic does not quite ring true. :? SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Important Questions

Post by Don Anderson »

Hi Diana:

I'd be happy to participate in answering your questions if you tell me why you're asking them.

Don
DIANAL
Beginner

Re: Important Questions

Post by DIANAL »

Don Anderson wrote:Hi Diana:

I'd be happy to participate in answering your questions if you tell me why you're asking them.

Don
Hi Don,

I am interested in presenting a compilation of feedback on Marlin and H&R from gun enthusiasts to the company. I would greatly appreciate your input on my questions as well as any other feedback you would like to provide.

Diana
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Questionaire

Post by Don Anderson »

Diana:

Do you work for Marlin or for an outside research company?

Don
DIANAL
Beginner

Post by DIANAL »

Don,

We are large stockholders.

Diana
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Post by Don Anderson »

Diana:

I'm curious as to you being large stockholders. Marlin does not have public stock. All stock is all in the Kenna family. What gives?

Don
DIANAL
Beginner

what gives?

Post by DIANAL »

Don,

You are correct; private company.

My husband is the grandson of Theodore F. Lynch, who was Chairman when Frank Kenna Jr. became president of Marlin Firearms. Theodore is the last Lynch (until we have some...). I am trying to put my Harvard degree and years as an executive (elsewhere - not guns) to work; so that is what gives. I am interested in what you have to say on the products and the companies; it's that simple.

Diana
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Post by Don Anderson »

Diana:

Please don't take offense by my inquiries, as it's just a matter of protecting Marlin's interests. Today, with all of the anti-gunners working on their agendas and this being an open web site, caution is the better part of valor.

If I recall, Theodore Lynch was a brother-in-law to Frank Kenna, Jr. and has been gone for 40 years now. You're correct, he was chairman of the board when Frank Jr. took over the presidency. Through the years, as being a member of the Marlin Firearms Collectors Association's board of directors, then serving for three years as vice president, and then five years as president, I have had the opportunity to get to know Chip Kenna, Bob Behn and Tony Aescheliman, along with a number of others at Marlin. After stepping down, I thought it was time to let someone else take the reins and was going to relax, then they made me editor of our collector's publication. I've enjoyed it all as it's been a real labor of love.

I'll give some though to your questions and see what I can come up with. I'm still a bit curious as how and with whom your reseach is going to be used.

Don
DIANAL
Beginner

info and use

Post by DIANAL »

Don,

No offense taken. I am trying to help the company. If you are as informed as you say you are, then you know that Marlin is in a mature business. CT is a tough state. The economy, product liability, gun safety isues, imports, increasing material costs and utitilty expenses, the list goes on; all taking its toll on the bottom line. I am trying to get a better pusle on the real gun enthusiasts on Marlin and H&R. Looking forward to your input.

Diana
pow
Beginner

Marlin Forearms

Post by pow »

The one thing I would like to see Marlin do with there lever actions is go back to the slim line type forearms as was used on the early Marlin lever actions. example 1894,1893,etc. I do not like the feel or the appearence of the current forearms on 336 and other lever actions,that are being currently produced.They make the rifle look and feel "chunkey"This is my opinion and I am sure everybody does not agree but you ask.Otherwise I think Marlin makes some of the best lever actions made!!
Four-Eyed Buck
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Four-Eyed Buck »

Why did they abandon the 38-55? limited runs in some of the old calibers might help as well. I know CAS shooters that would love to have a new 38-40 1894 as well as 44-40's. A 32-20 might work as well.
The only levers I own are Marlins, about six of them to be exact. I have found them to be a good value and very reliable for my CAS activity's.
Those new L.C.'s look nice , but are too expensive for CAS. An afordable double might something to look into, utilitarian, extractors only, maybe in the H&R line. CAS shooters would love to have an American double. Hope this helps some.......Buck 8) :roll: :?
Last edited by Four-Eyed Buck on Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If Marlin made SA revolvers, I'd be shooting those, too!!!
thrifty7
Beginner

Post by thrifty7 »

I am no expert on the business end of the firearms business but I spend more than the average person on guns (2-3 thousand per year roughly). I like Marlins because they are well made, reasonably priced, functionally efficient, and most of them have a nice old fasioned "flavor". I beleive that Marlins main strength is nostalgia and should be emphasized even more in the future. Forget about shotguns and boltguns. Focus on leverguns, and make them as much like the original prototypes as possible, but with the strength of modern steel, of course. Marlin's biggest mistake in the past has been to try to make the guns cheaper and glitzier to appeal to the entry level buyer, ( "Features" like pistol grip caps,white line spacers, beavertail fore ends, micro-groove rifling, gold flashed triggers,etc.) Each model should start with a plain, simple entry level model, such as a 336 carbine in 30-30, birch stock, half magazine, straight grip, and conventional rifling, to be cranked out in quantity to sell to the entry level crowd. Such a gun will also appeal to the experienced hunter and cast bullet enthusiast who is on a tight budget. From there, move up to better wood, octagonal barrels, interesting calibers, peep sights, etc. "Improvements" such as cya safeties, transfer bars, lockamajiggers, etc, should be avoided when possible and made as discrete and invisible as possible when they can't be avoided.
Just my opinion. Thanks for listening.
P.S. One of the reasons hunters love the 94 and 336 is the ease of carrying them with one hand wrapped around the receiver, which is made possible by the thinness of the receiver. That is why the Marlins and Winchesters are so much more popular than the Savage 99 and Browning lever gun, even though they are available in much more powerful chamberings. DON'T make them any thicker. Even some expert gun writers seem to miss this last point.
thrifty7
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

1-Marlin is a great firearm. I have high regard for their products.
2-H&R firearms don't really interest me. Good product, but too plain and cheap looking for my tastes.
3-Marlin's strengths are the simplicity of their lever action. Which is the gun we all think of when we think Marlin. Of course the side eject feature.
4-Weakness is the plastic introduced in recent Marlin designs, such as the follower. Also the limited special order options (read that none.)
5-I would do a couple things. Tighten up quality control, as recently I hear of more gun returns for repair, of obvious faults. Also, restore a custom shop to the factory to allow customers to special order options on new guns. I'd like to see some limited runs of unique special order Marlins, which could also keep a custom shop busy, and generate more interest in Marlins.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
JohnK
Sharpshooter

Post by JohnK »

I agree with MM93. I've left my feedback on your questions on the Marlinowners.com website. I am curious to know what you thought of the idea I mentioned awhile back about Ithaca Guns. Thanks! :)