Old lever action Marlin with octogon barrel

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

dave_wittoesch
Beginner

Old lever action Marlin with octogon barrel

Post by dave_wittoesch »

Marlin Collectors, :?:
I have an old Marlin lever action with an octagon barrel which I inherited. I can read the Marlin Fire-Arms Company, Newhaven, Ct U.S.A. logo on the top of the barrel and the first patent date is Feb 7, 63. The following patent dates are hard to read, but I think I also see a 77'. Also there is a serial number on the bottom in front of the lever. (16671). There are no other markings on the gun. I am not sure of the caliber, but the barrel opening measures about 40-44mm. The length of the gun is 46in from end of stock to end of barrel. Does anyone know what I have? How old, can I get ammo, is it worth anything?
Thank you in advance for your response.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Dave;

Unfortunately, the factory records for your serial number are blank. But, it is in the area of Model 1881's known as the "small frame" or 4th variation of the Model 1881. Also, the guns in the area of your serial number appear to be "deluxe" or guns with pistol grip stocks. A nice feature to have on the Model 1881. The records list 1,303 Model 1881's with the pistol grip stock.
The "small frame" Model 1881 was made in either .32-40 or .38-55 calibers only. There are 1,785 guns listed in .32-40 caliber and 3,563 guns listed in the .38-55 caliber. The top of the barrel, just in front of the receiver will have the caliber marking. You may have to do some cleaning of this area to see the caliber marking. I suspect your gun to be the .38-55 caliber.
If your gun was shipped about the same time as guns in this area, then it left the factory in New Haven, Ct. in 1887. Standard barrel lengths (measured to the breech bolt face) were 28 inches long, usually octagon in shape.
Your Model 1881 does have value, but how much depends soley upon the overall condition. Without knowing the condition, there is no way of giving an accurate estimation of value at this time. Sorry.....

I hope this helps.
martin t potts
Beginner

Post by martin t potts »

Regnier (gunrunner)
Hi could you help out an old man here ... you say that the rifle he was
talking about is a small frame .1881 .?

I thought the only mod/ that came in the two rounds only that year was the Marlin Model 1893 , help an old guy out here i know next to nothing about the older marlins save a few small things is all .

Thanks ahead of time

Martin
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Martin;

I do not quite understand your question. The "small frame" Model 1881 was made from 1884 to 1891 in .32-40 and .38-55 Ballard calibers. The Marlin Model 1893 was introduced in 1893 in .32-40 and .38-55 Ballard calibers and after 1895, the .30-30, .32 H.P.S. and .25-36 Marlin caliber were added to the Model 1893 line.
I hope this helps.

Now, before anyone wants to jump on the .32-40 and .38-55 Ballard calibers, those calibers were introduced by Marlin in the Ballard rifle. Later, these calibers were given the Winchester name, but they were a Marlin Ballard caliber first!
martin t potts
Beginner

Post by martin t potts »

Thank's buddy ... That cleared it up .. sorry about not making what i said clearer but you answered it all the same .. :D

Thank's :D

Martin
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote:Martin;

Now, before anyone wants to jump on the .32-40 and .38-55 Ballard calibers, those calibers were introduced by Marlin in the Ballard rifle. Later, these calibers were given the Winchester name, but they were a Marlin Ballard caliber first!
AMEN!!!!!!! We can't stress that enough! I'm tired of Winchester guys thinking it was their caliber! Thanks Rick!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!