Marlin 1893, 28" octangle, 30-30

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

rockelk
Beginner

Marlin 1893, 28" octangle, 30-30

Post by rockelk »

I have the above rifle which I believe was manufactured in 1897? (serial # 161048), in fair shape (60-80 %). Some astute owner prior to me had the action (nickel plated or perhaps chromed and peeling, 50% remaining?). there appears to be some faint case coloring on the lever, How did the rifle come from the factory? and can it be corrected,resurrected, can I trace its history? suggestions?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Rockelk;

It would appear you have a pretty standard Model 1893 that left the factory in December of 1897. Unfortunately that is all the factory records show for your serial number. The records do not reflect where or to whom it was shipped. Tracing it's history is almost impossible. The old factory records seldom reflect any of the special features of plating, engraving or special sights. The records just list (most of the time) the model, caliber, barrel length and configuration. If the gun is a takedown or has a pistol grip, that is usually listed too. Other than full length magazine tube is usually mentioned, then the shipping date.
You asked if your gun can be restored, yes it can. The nickel or chrome plating can be chemically stripped at a plating shop. Should you do it, you will have to decide that. The gun has already been messed with, so you cannot hurt it any more. At best, I would consider stripping the plating then wait to see how it looks after that. As to any other work, probably not if the remainer of the original finish is intact.
I hopet this helps.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

rockelk,
Are you sure the nickel plating was done after it left the factory? If 50% is peeling or flaking off, I would wonder if it hasn't been there a long time? If by chance it's original, I would reccommend not removing it. If it looks redone, and not original, then I would agree with stripping it off.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!