Marlin model 88

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

puppyluppy
Beginner

Marlin model 88

Post by puppyluppy »

What do you know about the Marlin model 88? This is a .22 caliber and appears to be similar to the current model 60. It was purchased in the early 1950s. Are there parts available? Where?

Thanks
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

GBOT, GBUSA
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Puppyluppy;

The Marlin Model 88 was made from 1948 to 1956. It was Marlin's first tubular magazine, .22 caliber semi-automatic rifle. It was not a popular gun since it loaded through a hole in the butt plate. It required the removal of the inner magazine tube follower, which had to be kept track of when removed.
There are two versions, the 88 C and the 88 DL. The DL had target sights, checkered stock and sling swivels. The 88 C sold for $30.50 when new in 1948.
The Model 88 was replaced by the Model 99. An improved version of the 88 that loaded through a hole in the side of the butt stock.
I hope this helps.
puppyluppy
Beginner

Post by puppyluppy »

Sure-Shot, Thanks for the direction to parts, appreciate it.

Gunrunner, the 88C is what I have. The info. you provided all sounds right to me. It was the first gun that bought for myself, but after fifty years I lost track of what I paid for it. You are correct about the tube follower being a bit of a hassle. Other than that it has been a good gun, very accurate. This gun taught a lot of kids to shoot over the years and now my grandaughters are using it.

One more question. I looked for a serial number but didn't see one. I took the stock off and didn't see one inside either. Is there one hiden some place or does it not have one?

Thanks for you response.
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

A lot of the less expensive 22s made prior to 1968 did not have a serial number at all. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!