My Model 336RC... Info?

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

NRA Instructor
Beginner

My Model 336RC... Info?

Post by NRA Instructor »

Greetings!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about my Marlin. I've never heard of the "RC" model designation before, only "C".

On the top left side (shooter holding the rifle as if to fire) of the barrel, is the markings:

The Marlin Firearms Co. NEW HAVEN, CONN., U.S.A.
EST. 1870 - MICRO-GROOVE BARREL - MOD 336-R.C. CAL. .30-.30

The serial number is AC 39**

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

RC means 'Regular Carbine'. This is a common model.SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

NRA Instructor;

The Model 336 C was replaced by the Model 336 CS (cross bolt safety version) in 1984. Your gun with the "AC" serial number prefix was manufactured in 1967.
I hope this helps.
NRA Instructor
Beginner

Post by NRA Instructor »

Thank you so much!! Nice to know that my rifle is older than I am! (I'm 32)

I recently bought a Sig .40 (for carry) and a S&W 686 (for anything), both of which were recently made. I love them both, and I know they're excellent firearms, but this rifle... Can't help but feel like I'm holding a piece of American history in my hands. Always wanted a lever gun since I was a little kid. (Used to call them "Cowboy rifles") :lol:

This rifle came with the original box (Funny to see a box with no UPC symbol on it!), but unfortunately no manual. I wrote to Marlin to have them send a replacement manual (and asked them the exact date of manufacturer and engineer name), but in the meantime I tried to clean it as best I could with only a basic knowledge of Marlin levers.

I managed to remove both stocks, the magazine tube, the lever, and the receiver. Is there anything else that can be safely removed?

There was a bit of light rust hidden in the corners of the gun here and there, but a good combination of GunScrubber and Hoppes 9 Powder Solvent cleaned it right up. The visible finish on the gun is at 100% (assembled) and it looks like it was built yesterday.

The white inserts between the shoulder pad and the stock, as well as the pistol grip but-cap and the stock have turned slightly yellow. Any tips on how to get them back to bright white (short of painting them)?

Also, any tips on how to make these stocks gleam?? Will a few simple coats of lacquer do it on the external parts? The internal wood looks good.

I'll confess that I am not a rifleman. My NRA Instructor discipline is in pistols, and I've been a pistol-only shooter since I was a kid, so this is somewhat of a new world to me :)

Thanks again for all of your help and time, and I hope I'm not being a pest!

~Brian
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

NRA Instructor;

The finish on the stock is probably an oil finish and will react to lacquer (and not in a good way). Best and simplest method is to give it a good coat of Johnson's paste wax, let it dry and buff it with a piece of wool.
As far as the white plastic spacers go, you might try to bleach them. Try a small spot on the flat surface that does not show first.
Good luck........

I hope this helps.
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Remove them from the other parts before you bleach. If you go to e-gunparts.com you can find a free parts breakdown. Handy to have sometimes. When you drop the lever and pull the bolt make sure you pull the ejector out of its slot on the side of the receiver and hang onto it. I dropped one once, it bounced, never to be seen again.
GBOT, GBUSA