marlin model 1895

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

gundude55
Beginner

marlin model 1895

Post by gundude55 »

hello I'm Jim , I'm new to this so please bare with me. I have a question about my marlin model 1895 that I believe was made in 1972 , being the first year of production of that second-generation, gun serial # is BOO5526 i have been told that the gun is a little due the barrel it has . Can any of you collectors tell me about Douglas barrels with Ballard rifling. Is it rare and is it more valuable than ones with marlin barrels.it has 8 lands and grooves but it has the jm stamp om barrel. any help would be appreciated . thank you jim
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: marlin model 1895

Post by marlinman93 »

The 8 groove barrel was only offered the first year, and after that they switched to a 12 groove barrel. I'm no expert on the newer 1895's and haven't heard or read of anything regarding the early barrels being supplied by Douglas? I would assume that any first year gun might have a little extra value to a specialty collector who only collects the newer Model 1895's, though how much extra I have no idea. Of course condition is always a premium for guns in like new condition.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
gundude55
Beginner

Re: marlin model 1895

Post by gundude55 »

Thanks for the info I'm waiting on one more post elsewhere that I'm waiting on a reply, if it is anything of interest, I will post Thank you