Gun info

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Marlinmark
Beginner

Gun info

Post by Marlinmark »

I have a 30-30 serial number 1730. It says Marlin Safety on top of the receiver and the barrel is stamped special smokeless steel. Also on the tang there is a star and it also says Marlin model 93. On the underside of the butt stock there is an inlaid bullseye. Also I should add the barrel is octagon and 25 1/2 inches long. What could you tell me about this rifle? I am also looking for a buttplate for this gun to make it complete, other than that this gun is in fantastic condition, case blued with the original finish on the stock and steel.
>
>
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Gun info

Post by marlinman93 »

I assume you meant case colored, not case blued? Color casehardening was the standard finish at this time for Marlins. The features you described and the serial number indicate a rifle made around 1923-24 range I believe. The bullseye and star inspection stamp were used by the Kenna family owners, and the bullseye started in 1922.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Marlinmark
Beginner

Re: Gun info

Post by Marlinmark »

Thank you so much for the information on my 30-30. It is so helpful to belong to a group of knowledgeable individuals to help a person new to these fantastic pieces of history.