loose lever on a Mountie

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

timcornish
Beginner

loose lever on a Mountie

Post by timcornish »

Just got a new mountie. The lever falls when uncocked, it does not open the gun but just will not stay in place. Is this a usual problem? How can it be fixed?
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

There's a flat spring that holds the lever in place. Take the rifle down to see if it's still in place or broken. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

There's screw that holds that spring in place. It's right in front of the lever n the bottom of the receiver. Check to ensure that screw is tight. If loose, it allows the lever to droop. If the spring is broken, it will also droop, and need a new spring.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
timcornish
Beginner

Loose lever

Post by timcornish »

Thanks Steve, the Spring is there but seems weak, I will replace it. The ejector spring was weak to so I got a new asembly from Brownells and put it in and ejection is fine now. this is a 1957 model with nice wood, I put a period 2.5 pwr El paso Weaver on iy and it does one hole at 40yds so I am ready for the Aperts Squirrels this October! :twisted:
timcornish
Beginner

loose lever

Post by timcornish »

I read Marlin Man's post just now and tightened the screw, it was loose! Now I have a perfect Mountie - Santo Remedio! (As we say here on the border) :idea: