Marlin Model 39 with star

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
Captain GTX

Post by Captain GTX »

Recently inherited a Model 39 Marlin serial no. S90xx with 24" octagonal barrel, walnut stock w/ bullseye, leather buttplate (assume replacement), in what I'd consider good, but used, condition with some blueing still present. After reading through the many posts on this site, I surmise it was manufactured between 1925 - 32. There is a star on the tang, which depending on who you check with either means a late mfg date or that it was made to a higher standard. There are no patent dates that I can find.

Can anyone confirm mfg date & the meaning of the star? Reading through the posts I understand everyone is reluctant to estimate a value, deferring to gun auction sites instead. Saw a similar one with a scope on Cabella's website for $1995. Can't believe they'd get anywhere close to that. I don't plan to fire it, but understand high-velocity ammo shouldn't be used. Would appreciate any info anyone can provide.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The S prefix and star on the tang put your 39 into the mid-late 1920's era. You are correct about not using hi speed ammo, but you can shoot modern target or std, velocity ammo without a problem.
You're also right about Cabelas prices. They always run well above the market, and I'd bet in many cases it's done so that they can take an offer and still sell it for too much money!
The advertisements used during the late 1920's referred to the star as an inspector's mark which represented that Marlins carrying that mark were of the highest quality made by Marlin. This didn't mean they picked particular guns off the line and gave them the star stamp. It meant that every Marlin went through a rigorous inspection, and once it wa comfirmed that it met factory standards it was given the star final inspector's mark.
As you said, can't give you an estimate without seeing the gun first hand.-Vall
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Captain GTX

Post by Captain GTX »

Thanks for your speedy reply. Want to make sure I understand what you're saying because if every rifle was inspected & only the ones that passed got the star, then the ones without the star would not have passed. That would mean the ones with the star were the better quality.
Instead, is it possible that while inspectors checked every rifle that came down the final assembly line, they selected maybe every 10th one for more rigorous testing as part of their quality control program. Those that passed this test were stamped with a star & the few that didn't were either sent back to be repaired or perhaps they just continued down the line. This approach would mean the stamped ones weren't necessarily any better, just that they had passed the more rigorous inspection. Is that the theory and has anyone seen documentation as to what their actual quality control practices were or know how other manufacturers operated at the time? Any idea whether these stamped rifles sold new for the same price as the non-stamped ones? Also, does it stand to reason that of two otherwise identical rifles in the same condition, the one with the star would command a higher price in the marketplace today?
Just discovered this website today, and it has a lot of information & knowledgeable posters. By the way, my stamped model (which I've also seen referred to as a deluxe model, by Cabella's for example) seems to just have the plain walnut stock, nothing fancy. I understand I could check for a matching serial number on the stock, but haven't disassembled it yet.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Every un passed, or it didn't go out the door. Every gun got a star stamp.
One exception....Marlin sold guns marked "SECOND" for a reduced rate, on a sale flyer sent to dealers.
If it didn't say SECOND, it got a star. Nothing special about them, regardless of how many folks would hope differently.
Captain GTX

Post by Captain GTX »

Just a casual observation that there seems to be more of these "seconds" currently for sale in the marketplace than stamped ones. Were a lot of "seconds" produced, or do they just tend to get traded more often, while collectors hang on to the stamped ones?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

If they aren't stamped "SECOND", they aren't a second. There were very few guns marked SECOND, as Marlin decided that selling such guns wasn't good policy. They just fixed whatever the errorwas and shipped them as perfect. Most SECOND's were sold to employees.
Not sure what you mean about seconds vs. stamped ones? Do you mean stamped with a star, or stamped as a second? There are huge numbers of Marlins stamped with the star, and very few stamped SECOND in comparrison.
I've never owned a second, but I've got 4 Marlins with the star presently, and I've probably owned twice that many in the past.
Captain GTX

Re: Marlin Model 39 with star

Post by Captain GTX »

All I'm saying is that there seem to be quite a few 39s for sale that have no star, which I assumed you were saying were "seconds". If they are not stamped with a star or as "seconds", then what are they? Gunbroker & Cabala's both have more of what appears to be unmarked 39s than "starred" ones. This has been confusing & posts by previous posters with different opinions just seem to cloud the issue as to what a star really means. Thanks for you continuing efforts to educate me.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Model 39 with star

Post by marlinman93 »

Captain GTX wrote:All I'm saying is that there seem to be quite a few 39s for sale that have no star, which I assumed you were saying were "seconds". If they are not stamped with a star or as "seconds", then what are they? Gunbroker & Cabala's both have more of what appears to be unmarked 39s than "starred" ones. This has been confusing & posts by previous posters with different opinions just seem to cloud the issue as to what a star really means. Thanks for you continuing efforts to educate me.
As I mentioned previously, the method of marking Marlins with a final inspector's stamp (star) was only used for a short period, so those without the star stamp were made either before, or after the star was used. Simple as that, so no reason to read anything more into it.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:55 am.