1893 config ?

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --

1893 config ?

Post by Guest »

I have just aquired a model 1893 ser #125295. somebody has changed the barrel to a 36 rc 30-30 and added a newer forarm. I am after any info. year made, original caliber, barrel length ect. any info would be a help.
Thanks
Wes
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1893 config ?

Post by Sure-Shot »

Manufactured 1895, will have to wait for Reigner to check the records and see if the ones for this rifle are there, some are some aren't.
GBOT, GBUSA
wbrent7766
Beginner

Post by wbrent7766 »

I just registered so i guess i'm not a guest any more. :D . I was wondering if it would be worth trying to find the right barrel for it and how hard are they to come by? Hopefully this one is in the records and the calliber is not to hard to find.
thanks again for any help
Wes
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Likely would need barrel, (hard to find but some out there) magazine tube (depending on caliber can be hard to find) and forearm (not as hard to find as the other parts). You may want to send Reigner a personal message with serial number and see what you can find out.
GBOT, GBUSA
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Wes;

Your Marlin Model 1893 was originally a .38-55 caliber rifle, and had a 28 inch octagon barrel.
That means to restore it to original, you will need the 28 inch barrel and magazine tube. A forearm and forearm cap for an octagon barrel. Maybe the forearm tenon and magazine tube spring. You should be able to use the existing magazine tube stud and screw.
As a later 1895 gun, you could use a "Special Smokeless Steel' marked barrel if you find one or an unmarked one. If you find one unmarked, you would not want to use high power cartridges or jacketed ammunition.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

All 1893 Marlins used the same mag tube, regardless of caliber. Only difference was length. There are suppliers who carry mag tube material in up to 30" lengths. The barrel will be a BIG problem, as a .38-55 barrel is hard enough to find, but in 28" length darn near impossible!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
wbrent7766
Beginner

Post by wbrent7766 »

Thanks for all the great info. I guess now it time to start looking for a barrel. It's a good thing I'm not in a rush. I plan on going original if I can. Again I want to thank you guys for the help. I'm sure there will be more questions later on as this project continues.
Wes

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:18 pm.