What components does Marlin forge on 1894c?

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Personal-Trainer
Beginner

What components does Marlin forge on 1894c?

Post by Personal-Trainer »

I noticed on Marlin's website that they still list forging five components in the model 1894c. Does anyone know which five components? I believe the receiver is milled from forged steel, maybe the lever as well, but would love to know which 5 parts are definitely made in that manner... many thanks in advance! :)
Pete44ru
Marksman

Re: What components does Marlin forge on 1894c?

Post by Pete44ru »

How about:

*The receiver
*The lower plate/tang
*The bolt
*The hammer
*The lever

Personal-Trainer
Beginner

Pete, is that your educated guess, or are you saying that those are actually the components that are forged?
Thanks in advance :)
Pete44ru
Marksman

Post by Pete44ru »

AFAIK, every part I listed is individually forged from a single chunk, then machined to final shape excepting the hammers, from which IIRC several are sliced from a bar machined from a forging.

Personal-Trainer
Beginner

Thank you :)
Personal-Trainer
Beginner

I just read Marlin's 2010 catalog via their online access. It lists all of their lever action rifles as having a forged receiver, lever/trigger plate, lever, and the carrier.
Since the 1894 series has the square bolt, that too is likely a forged component, bringing the total forged count to five.
The 336 series has a round bolt, which I believe is milled from a bar-stock (rather than they being forged and milled). That would give the 336 series, and others, a total of four forgings.
Last edited by Personal-Trainer on Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
quickdan
Beginner

Post by quickdan »

Marlin has gone to cast hammer and locking bolt. The breech bolt is machined out of bar stock.