I found this "Marlin No. 18" rifle

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

studiopeg
Beginner

I found this "Marlin No. 18" rifle

Post by studiopeg »

I've been cleaning out my dad's house and found this rifle hidden in the rafters. I know his father had rifles that my dad inherited.

On it, it says "Marlin Firearms Co. New Haven, CT USA
PAT'D April 2, 1989, Aug 12, 1890, Mar 1, 1892, Nov 29, 1904"

"Marlin No. 18"

I've looked everywhere but I don't find any other numbers on it.

Could anyone tell me something about it?

Thanks!

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: I found this "Marlin No. 18" rifle

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Studiopeg;

The Marlin Model 18 "Baby Featherweight" rifle was Marlin's first attempt at producing a pump action rifle. When it left the factory, it was fitted with a carrier that would handle the .22 short caliber cartridge. The purchaser could order another carrier that would handle the .22 long cartridge if desired. This allowed the rifle to use either cartridge, but not at the same time, unless used and loaded as a single shot rifle. When new in 1906, a Model 18 with an octagon barrel such as yours, sold for $13.00. The extra carrier sold for $2.00.
Marlin advertised the Model 18 as a "takedown", but it really was not. The only thing that could shorten the rifle was to remove the top tang screw which would allow the buttstock to be removed.
There are serial numbers on the Model 18, but they are hidden. You would need to remove the buttstock or buttplate to find the numbers.
Condition wise, that is one of the nicest Model 18 "Baby Featherweight" rifles I have seen. It was an inexpensive rifle and most were used quite hard, and it is unusual to find any in really nice condition. It is a very nice piece, and I hope you keep it in the family.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
studiopeg
Beginner

Post by studiopeg »

Gunrunner,

Thank you very much. It is the strangest thing... my dad is in the hospital right now but is clear minded. I asked him about this rifle and he said he has no idea where it came from. His other rifles were in cases and he knew about each of them, but this one was hidden. He does not recall his dad ever having this. I called dad's sister and she said the same thing, their dad never had a Marlin.

Where it came from and how long it was there in the rafters is a mystery. We built the house new long ago so it wasn't left there by a former owner.

Mysterious nice find. I got my LC LTC this year so I will keep it for now. Since it wasn't part of our family I'm not sure what to do with it.

But thanks so much for all the information, very much appreciated.

Happy New Year!
studiopeg
Beginner

Post by studiopeg »

How do I go about selling this? Can anyone tell me the steps or point me in the right direction? Thanks!
Wishbone
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Wishbone »

You could list it in the "for sale" section on this website. Being manufactured after 1898, it it classified by BATF as a modern firearm and will have to go through the normal channels (ship to a FFL or C&R holder), which is relatively easy on your end.

WB
MARLIN - THE GUN FOR THE MAN WHO KNOWS
studiopeg
Beginner

Post by studiopeg »

Wishbone wrote:You could list it in the "for sale" section on this website. Being manufactured after 1898, it it classified by BATF as a modern firearm and will have to go through the normal channels (ship to a FFL or C&R holder), which is relatively easy on your end.

WB
You are a fount of information, thank you
studiopeg
Beginner

Post by studiopeg »

OK no chuckling...

How do I make sure it isn't loaded?

Like I said, I have no gun experience.

Also, I took the butt plate off but no serial numbers. I can't figure out how to remove the entire butt stock... looks riveted.

Thanks,
Peg
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Peg;

To remove the butt stock, unscrew the large headed screw on the upper tang, behind where it is stamped "Marlin No. 18". It might take a little effort if the stock has never been off, but it will slide off of the tangs. I tend to use the heel of my hand, and hit the side of the stock, in a backwards motion to help get the stock to start off of the tangs. Once it starts to move it will slide off.
To see if it is not loaded, first make sure you are pointing the rifle in a safe direction, then you can operate the action (pump the forearm action backward towards the receiver) to open the ejection port. If it was loaded, a cartridge will eject when you open the action, or if there are any cartridges in the port, then tip it down to drop the cartridge out of the port. You will have to operate the action again to see if another cartridge ejects, and continue to do so until no cartridges eject. Or, you can unscrew the large screw on the right side of the action to remove the side plate (it will lift out and a little to the back). Once the side plate is removed, you can see the end of the magazine tube and see if there are any cartridges in the magazine tube. Hopefully there are none present.
If you have any problems, come back and someone will help you through it.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
sargemarlin
Beginner

Post by sargemarlin »

studiopeg, have you been able to locate any more information on the origin of the model 18? Curious minds want to know.

Thanks in advance.
studiopeg
Beginner

Post by studiopeg »

No I haven't found out anything else. I haven't even checked to see if it's loaded yet. I found a Mossberg and a BB gun too. Haven't had the time with moving dad into my house. Hope to get to all of it soon.
sargemarlin
Beginner

Post by sargemarlin »

Your post made me do some research and there is a comparable on Gunbroker right now, but it is not getting any bids. Otherwise there is not much information out there that is relevant.

If you decide to part with it, contact me. I lurk here but don't post very often. I've been collecting Marlin pumps for about the last year when I decided that 94's and Colts are now out of my league.

Good luck.
studiopeg
Beginner

Post by studiopeg »

sargemarlin wrote:Your post made me do some research and there is a comparable on Gunbroker right now, but it is not getting any bids. Otherwise there is not much information out there that is relevant.

If you decide to part with it, contact me. I lurk here but don't post very often. I've been collecting Marlin pumps for about the last year when I decided that 94's and Colts are now out of my league.

Good luck.
I will be selling it, dad doesn't want to hang on to it. I'm just so tied up right now.

Thanks,
Peg
studiopeg
Beginner

Post by studiopeg »

sergkoser oie pipesokglkd sjgilkjsedg 80w3t98us eouse loise fgiojs greijoeas grkjloi 3
studiopeg
Beginner

Post by studiopeg »

This forum is so inconsistent. Does not work at all.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

studiopeg wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:05 pm This forum is so inconsistent. Does not work at all.
Works fine for everyone else. Maybe you could make some constructive suggestions on how to improve it? Like something more specific than your present reply.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!