Model 1893

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

athiker06-07
Beginner

Model 1893

Post by athiker06-07 »

I have a Model 1893 that I purchased in Park City, Utah back in the 90's. It has the octagonal barrel that is 26" long. It has 38 55 on top of the barrel. The serial number is 142301. I have never fired this rifle in the years that I have owned it. The condition of this weapon is superb. Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated such as when it was produced, etc. As per Wikipedia the .38-55 Winchester cartridge Is actually .3775 caliber that was introduced in 1876 a Ballard. According to them a modernized version of the cartridge debuted in 1978 as the .375 Winchester, designed with higher pressures and to be used in modern firearms only. They claim it is not safe to fire factory .375 Winchester ammunition in rifles chambered in .38-55, especially in older examples. The brass is very similar (shorter by approx. 1mm), but using modern higher pressure .375 loads in an older rifle could cause serious injury to the shooter. Have no idea how much this is true, so want to hear what the expert moderator and whomever else has to say. Should I decide to fire it sometime (after it's been looked at and cleaned by an excellent gunsmith) what round should I load it with? Thank you for all your input. I appreciate it.
shootrj2003
Marksman

Re: Model 1893

Post by shootrj2003 »

I don’t own one but I would take the warning to heart,I heard it before,did you have 375 cases and dies you could maybe load them to suitable pressures but consult load books ,if you get dies just get 38-55 dies and do it the right way,if you only have the one rifle you could maybe find a Lee loader ,load a few at a time and have fun.for years I had one Marlin and reloaded that way while watching TV it was cheap and easy.and accurate ammo. Shoot it,be safe have fun.
38-55 is still normally available,these are not normal ammo times,A Lee loader is a hand loader unit of
several parts a resizing die,decapper for removing used primers ,apriming device that safely loads new primers,This unit is also a bullet punch press for inserting bullets into the resized case and a powder measuring dipper that loads powder by volume and a liste of loads that are safe with the scoop and listed weight bullets.oh and complete instructions for safely loading your own ammo.I think there still made but eBay could turn one up.that a lb. of poweder and box of bullets will get you shooting.
being of a mind that an armed populace is a free populace.... i'm armed!