Serial Numbers for 39A

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

dwostler
Beginner

Re: Serial Numbers for 39A

Post by dwostler »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:08 pm Dennis;
A Model 1897 is a Model 1897, not a Model 1894. The Model 1894 was chambered for pistol cartridges whereas the Model 1897 is a .22 caliber rifle only.
Sorry, I got my models mixed up here are a couple of pictures that might help. I would like to know the age, the last date I find on the rifle is 1901 on the rear sight. As you can see, it was fitted with a modern bolt, as the originals are very hard to find.

https://thebugfather.smugmug.com/Marlin1892/n-GZP4jv

Thanks, Dennis
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Biddy1711;

Since you do not see a letter prefix to the serial number, it appears that you may have a very early, first variation of the 39-A that would have been made in 1940.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Dennis;

Your Marlin Model 1892 was shipped from the factory in New Haven, Ct. in mid to late 1898. It is a .22 caliber with a 24 inch octagon barrel.
The rear sight is not original as Marlin sights do not have a date stamped on them.

dwostler
Beginner

Post by dwostler »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:05 am Dennis;

Your Marlin Model 1892 was shipped from the factory in New Haven, Ct. in mid to late 1898. It is a .22 caliber with a 24 inch octagon barrel.
The rear sight is not original as Marlin sights do not have a date stamped on them.
Thanks for the information Regnier, the barrel had been relined some time in the past.
The barrel doesn't have any markings as to caliber, but with the new bolt, would it be safe to assume that I can use standard velocity 22LR?
Did they use 22 short, 22 long and 22 long rifle back then?
Does anyone have a source for the correct bolt?

Here are some additional pictures, my concern it the bolt is proud of the receiver and it seems to be lacking an ejector.

https://thebugfather.smugmug.com/Marlin1892-2/n-x5XQFZ

Thanks, Dennis Ostler
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Dennis;

Yes, Marlin was the first to use the .22 caliber short, long and long rifle interchangeably without any adjustment to the rifle starting in 1891.
You can use standard velocity in your Model 1892, but I would have a concern about how the breech bolt aligns with the breech of the barrel the way it stands out from the receiver.
You can get a proper ejector from Wisner's ( www.wisnersinc.com )

dwostler
Beginner

Post by dwostler »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:41 pm Dennis;

Yes, Marlin was the first to use the .22 caliber short, long and long rifle interchangeably without any adjustment to the rifle starting in 1891.
You can use standard velocity in your Model 1892, but I would have a concern about how the breech bolt aligns with the breech of the barrel the way it stands out from the receiver.
You can get a proper ejector from Wisner's ( www.wisnersinc.com )
Well, I cleaned the barrel and took it apart and it looks like the ejector is there.
Went out to the range, rounds chamber okay and fired, but don't extract.
I don't think it is the extractor as much as a possible rough or tight chamber.
You can feel the extractor making a weak attempt at pulling the case out, but even with a small screw driver it requires a lot of force to get it out of the chamber.
I plan on honing out the chamber with 800 grit brush research chamber brushes. I've use them before on a couple of revolvers and semi-autos that had sticky case extraction issues.

Maybe you can see the friction scrape marks on the fired cases on the below pictures.

https://thebugfather.smugmug.com/Marlin1892-3/n-LGwZ9j

Thanks, Dennis
dwostler
Beginner

Post by dwostler »

I’m sorry, moderators can you please delete all my posts unrelated to the topic.
Thanks, Dennis